translation help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

translation help please

Hi lads, can you translate this kanji for me please, thanks very much, brenig.
    Attached Files

群馬群馬今井兼継
    Gunma Imai Kanetsugu
    Imai Kanetsugu [of] Gunma [Prefecture]

source

--Guy

Comment

The Kane looks different??

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
        The Kane looks different??
        NickN,

Same smith, just a different style of writing. Not all smiths themselves engraved their names -- perhaps he engraved his own work, perhaps he hired someone, or perhaps it was an apprentice.

Note that just below the signature in the original poster's sword is a stamped katakana [to] and [undoubtly] followed by a series of numbers which are not seen in the photo; the sample I show (same smith, different style of writing) is stamped with the katakana "ku" 306. This style stamped serial number is not that common -- and both swords have a katakana followed by numbers; not conclusive, but strongly indicative of the same smith's style.

Cheers,
        --Guy

Comment

Anent the evaluation placed on the Imai Kanetsugu blade in the reference I posted, I just found a very informative response from Chris Bowen on another post about an Imai Kanetsugu sword [same style of writing as on the reference]:

The value of one million yen being tossed around comes from a Japanese swordsmith reference (Tokuno) wherein a value in yen for a perfect sword of ideal length, in fresh polish, etc., is given. Generally, for modern smiths, this is for post war production.

Speaking in gross generalizations, current market pricing might be something along the following lines:

Blades made during the war by top ranked smiths, average length blades in polish, signed and dated, ubu, and without flaws, can fetch between $6000 and $12,000. The upper figure is for special order, dedications, with great length, and in perfect condition. The lower figure for average work. Bear in mind that I have seen a few WWII era blades by certain smiths sell for more than $20K and as much as $35K! Shorter blades are worth, in general, less.

Middle of the road smiths, such as this one, in good polish and without flaws, seem to average $2500 to $5000 subject to the above conditions. Again, the upper figure is for special work.

Low ranked smiths, again, in decent polish and without flaws, might bring $2000-$4000 subject to the above conditions.. Again, the upper figure is for special work.

Machine made, mass produced, showa-to, in good condition, maybe $800-$1800. The upper figure would be for something with blade and koshirae in pristine condition.

Also be aware that certain smiths seem to fetch an unjustified premium in the West based more on familiarity than quality of workmanship. This works the other way as well with many high quality blades selling at a discount due to lack of a known name in the West.

Without knowing the length and condition of your blade (are there any flaws, deep rust, bends, is it dated? etc.), it is hard to say with any accuracy what it might be worth. A ballpark figure might be $2500 assuming it is without flaws, dated, and 26-27" long....

Hope that helps...

Source: Nihonto Message Board
          --Guy

Comment

Hello guy
            I agree same smith I just wanted to point out the Kane was so different as to be almost unrecognisable
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
              Hello guy
              I agree same smith I just wanted to point out the Kane was so different as to be almost unrecognisable
              Nick

Nick, I agree.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X