Japanese Sword question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword question

Just got in another WWII Japanese Katana. This one is a civlian mounted example that was pressed into military service.

One problem though. It is missing the bamboo pin that holds the tsuka onto the tang! Does anyone know where I could find a replacement??
    I've also heard that I could fabricate a new one out of a bamboo chopstick. Does this work good? Would like to get an original replacement, but if I can't I'll have to fabricate one?
    Let me know!

Thanks,
    Matt

PS- I'll post some pics of the sword later for you guys.

Matt,

I once made a mekugi (i.e., a bamboo peg) out of a small oak branch that I found in the yard just so I could "peg" the tsuka (i.e., hilt/handle) into place.

As I'm sure you know, mekugi can be found at some of the larger shows as the folks that typically sell the swords also typically sell the parts for swords. (Of course, there may be a forum member or two that could help you out as well.)

If you have some time to kill, and don't mind surfing the web, I would start with Japanese Swords on the Internet-II (http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/sites2.htm) and go from there.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Weber
      Just got in another WWII Japanese Katana. This one is a civlian mounted example that was pressed into military service.

One problem though. It is missing the bamboo pin that holds the tsuka onto the tang! Does anyone know where I could find a replacement??
      I've also heard that I could fabricate a new one out of a bamboo chopstick. Does this work good? Would like to get an original replacement, but if I can't I'll have to fabricate one?
      Let me know!

Thanks,
      Matt

PS- I'll post some pics of the sword later for you guys.
      Matt, my Japanese sword was also missing the mekugi. I did use the end of a bamboo chopstick and it works great. Because the chopstick tends to taper towards the tip (i.e., decrease in circumference), that feature effectively retains the piece snuggly inside the sword without it slipping off. Since the piece is made of bamboo, I think it is a great fix and it is consistent with Japanese-made materials. I highly recommend this cheap and effective fix.
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Thanks guys. I will try the chopstick method then. Someone else recommended that quick and cheap fix as well, and the taper design of the chopstick does sound like it will fit much more snugly than a standard replacement.

I started a new thread with pics of my latest katana! Check them out!

Matt

Comment

Well, I stopped by my local grocery store today to pick up some grub, and found some bamboo chopsticks in the oriental food section.

I took them home, and removed one and inserted it through the hole in the tsuka. It fit well, and tightened up the handle to the blade very good.
          So I marked a line on where to cut it, cut it off, then sanded it smooth on the edges and flattened the ends.
          It fits perfectly now, and look just like the originals! The pack of 12 chopsticks cost me $1.41, so this is really a cheap fix!
          Thanks for all your help guys!

Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X