Don't Put it Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Put it Down!

Here are a couple of pics of a Type 3 that I believe was un-issued I found it at the Show Of Shows a few years back. Normally the later pieces will be found with a brown tassel but the dealer said this was how it came. I'm glad the guy holding it before me decided to" think about it" I would have made a Gunslinger proud reaching for my wallet! I have seen some with scabbards that are pretty much "Pinked out" for lack of a better term was that actually a color late in the war or just a reaction of the tan paint ? Thanks,Geoff
    Attached Files

Looks like it was a case of "the quick, and the sorry"! That's a beauty

PG-

Comment

Hi Geoff,

A fine example indeed.

As to your question about scabbard paint colors, I too have found a lot of variation. None quite like you describe but certainly more shades of tan, brown and green than are commonly shown in the reference works. I see no reason to believe that the color you refer to isn't also an authentic variation.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Great looking sword Geoff! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Matt

Comment

Great condition.

Comment

As these are late war produced, it is likely no one cared about perfectly matching paint finish from sword to sword. Likely they worked with what was available. Exceptional condition. Congratulations.

Comment

Would a unissued sward have a tassel? When was the tassel mated with the sward?

Bob

Comment

AHHhhhh. That my friend is an excellent question! Lets see... an un-issued sword...The tassel comes with it... Late war swords had brown tassels .. ME
                How much for the sword without the tassel?... DEALER "I'll knock off $100.00"
                ME "Deal" (Taking off the tassel) DEALER "You can have it, comes with it"

Comment

Guess which one was "Free"
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
                    Guess which one was "Free"
                    Geoff,
                    You have three too many ... please send one to me.

--Guy

Comment

I personally have never encountered one of these late swords with a tassel. This sword could be unissued or it was issued to an officer who never saw combat and stayed in the home islands.

Comment

Bob, I'm with you on the never having seen one with a tassel in person but I don't get to go to too many shows. The tassel on the Type 3 was a means to stir the pot. Although the story was true The fakes are getting better so I just wanted to give everyone a different perspective and point out the fact that some people will try to "Enhance" items to bring a few extra bucks. Here is a silly way to remember a trait of the recent fake tassels
                        Attached Files

Comment

Anyone got pics of Field Grade or Generals Grade Repro Tassels?

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
                            Anyone got pics of Field Grade or Generals Grade Repro Tassels?
                            Here are a couple of repos currently being offered. First the Field Grade:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X