BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese ?? Short sword id help needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite impressive collection I must say. This thing is seemingly so far off from a naval dirk though, both dimensionally and in overall detail, it gives me pause to make that assumption, however will check out the auction numbers posted for comparison's sake. Thank you.

Comment

After looking at the ebay examples posted, there are most definitely some similarities, but whether or not I'll ever see its actual "twin" remains to be seen. Suffice to say I will let my friend know that it's more than likely either something very obscure, or a fantasy piece of some sort, as apparently the jury is going to out for a long time on this one if it IS anything other than simply a Chinese copy of something. Thank you for the add'l help.

Comment

There is a seppa on the blade side of the cross guard but non on the handle side, that's just rude. It's trying very hard to look Japanese (with the hibaki, shark skin handle and curved blade point) but comes across like a kid from the burbs at a rap concer, it dorsn't quite have the authenticity. Just my opinion.

Best, Rod

Comment

Since the Meiji Period, many different dirks were designed and worn by various Japanese organizations. I recall seeing a display of 28 different designs many years ago at a Japanese sword show. Some of these are very obscure. I would suggest posting this at one of the Japanese sword web sites. Possibly someone can identify it for you.

Comment

Thanks Bob. To Rod's point regarding the Seppa, there actually IS a washer on both sides of the guard, it's just that the one on the handle side is smaller than the one facing the ricasso, and may not have shown up as well in the photos, (if that makes any difference). Here's a better shot showing both sides of the guard, so you can indeed see the seppa on both sides. I might indeed investigate it further via another venue. Thanks for the advice!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Milton; 06-21-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I found a book that was published on the subject of both military and civil Japanese dirks. Here is information on where to buy the book:
              http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=RhSLZwEACAAJ

Comment

The dirk in the thread is not in the book , since it still not japanese.

Comment

The style is very similar to Nationalist Chinese daggers (the blade, the hilt, the pattern of the handle) but it's not anything I recognize right away. I don't think it was ever intended to be a copy of a Japanese dagger, most certainly not a Navy dagger.

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
                    The style is very similar to Nationalist Chinese daggers (the blade, the hilt, the pattern of the handle) but it's not anything I recognize right away. I don't think it was ever intended to be a copy of a Japanese dagger, most certainly not a Navy dagger.
                    I agree, if for no other reason than the dimensions are so far off. I've contacted Milton and agreed to post it for him on NMB to see what the response is there. I'll update this thread with the results as and when they come in.

Regards,
                    Stu

Comment

I'm a novice but even though I have never seen one of these before it appears to have legitimate age to it and looks like a lot of work just to make a quick buck normally fakes are plentiful I wonder why this one has not been recognized by someone yet???

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                        I agree, if for no other reason than the dimensions are so far off. I've contacted Milton and agreed to post it for him on NMB to see what the response is there. I'll update this thread with the results as and when they come in.

Regards,
                        Stu
                        Hi stu,
                        Any news?

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                          Hi stu,
                          Any news?
                          No, sorry. Been very busy. Pics are up now on NMB and hope to have something to post here this weekend.

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X