Japanese SNLF canteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese SNLF canteen

I tried to post this as a reply to an earlier canteen post but for some reason the computer wouldn't allow a response. Perhaps an administrator can link them.

This is a photo of an SNLF canteen I have had in my collection for several years a friend of mine found it at a garage sale. The cover has been cut away it appears, to remove the Kanji. what remains looks to be remnants of the characters Shichi (7) and Ichi (1).I have always been curious why this would be cut out? if by the vet he did a crappy job because he missed a lot of the inscription. Tag came with the piece naming it to the Milne Bay Battle and there were SNLF forces involved.
    but why removing part of a cover??? any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
    but why removing part of a cover??? any thoughts?
    Perhaps the surrendering Japanese soldier did that so his unit information was not captured?

I believe some flags had the insides cut out so they could not be surrendered -- like removing the chrysanthemums from rifles? I've seen photos of flags in the tripod-stand, with only the fringe remaining -- is this a correct assumption on my part? See hanging scroll in image below:

Just a guess and a thought.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy, I think that Idea makes the most sense. Does anyone know if there was a Japanese unit # ???? 7 1 involved with the invasion? This might verify the information on the tag attached to the canteen.

Comment

I suppose anything can be the case concerning the possible removal of unit numbers from objects by the Japanese. Equally plausible could be simple competition for souvenirs: Someone else saw the numbers, cut out that portion (as sloppy as it is) as their own souvenir and left a gaping hole in the fabric. When I spoke to members of my family who were in the Pacific and Europe during the war about souvenir collecting, it surprised me to hear about how often items were swiped, traded, etc. in the hunt for souvenirs. Ultimately it is a mystery. As to the flag fringe, I believe IJA regiments received only one flag from the emperor, so for those regiments that were older and carried the flag through past conflicts, the only thing that was often left was the fringe of the flag.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
          .... As to the flag fringe, I believe IJA regiments received only one flag from the emperor, so for those regiments that were older and carried the flag through past conflicts, the only thing that was often left was the fringe of the flag.

Tom
          Tom,

Thanks for the explanation about the missing flag material -- that always puzzled me.

--Guy

Comment

I knew a Raider who was the 2d battalion G2 section chief. He had told me one time that labels, ranks, and tac marked items were cut off and brought in to them for intelligence value. They were cut off because it was quick, to avoid having to carry the whole item, and some things made to much noise. He may have been refering to an empty/ half empty canteen when he said this. This canteen also could have been picked up by a person touring the battlefield. An infantryman not wanting to carry the canteen around could have cutt the 'neat looking' writing off and dropped the actual item. The item is then picked up and kept by another later on. Just a thought.

Comment

Guy,

In case you haven't seen this page on Japanese regimental flags...

http://www.flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=184

I understand the Imperial Japanese Navy didn't have the same one flag tradition. Somewhere on the web I remember reading the navy went through so many flags owing to weather at sea they didn't suffer from the same sentimental preoccupation as the army.

Best, Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
                I knew a Raider who was the 2d battalion G2 section chief. He had told me one time that labels, ranks, and tac marked items were cut off and brought in to them for intelligence value. They were cut off because it was quick, to avoid having to carry the whole item, and some things made to much noise. He may have been refering to an empty/ half empty canteen when he said this. This canteen also could have been picked up by a person touring the battlefield. An infantryman not wanting to carry the canteen around could have cutt the 'neat looking' writing off and dropped the actual item. The item is then picked up and kept by another later on. Just a thought.
                Exactly what I was thinking

David.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod G View Post
                  Guy,

In case you haven't seen this page on Japanese regimental flags...

http://www.flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=184

I understand the Imperial Japanese Navy didn't have the same one flag tradition. Somewhere on the web I remember reading the navy went through so many flags owing to weather at sea they didn't suffer from the same sentimental preoccupation as the army.

Best, Rod

AHhhhhhhhhh! PERFECT! Many thanks.

Comment

I have a collection of cut of insignias, tags & labels. My bet is it was souvinered

Comment

Thank you all for the input I now have a new take on this piece! G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X