X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Body armour ?

Hi Guys,
    <O></O>
    I have posted this in the US forum as I was thinking along the lines that it might be to do with aircrew but after looking at the buckle it doesn’t seem to be American, German or British. Could it be Japanese ?

Thanks inadvance

Mark

<O></O>
    <O></O>
    Last edited by Mauser; 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM.

Not a variation I've seen before. Japanese usually had ink stamps or sewn in labels

Comment

Buckle

Forgot to post this last night. Dose the buckle look japanese, any ideas ?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Comment

Both IJA and IJN produced few types of body armors.

Type 92 for the army.

Mostly used by pioneers.

Type 1 and a Type 2 for the navy.

Nakata made some button up style armor vest before.

Can you post some more photos from the vest?

Regards,
        Taka

Comment

I've seen a similar buckle before (not on anything Japanese) but I can't recall exactly where! Either a WWI or immediate post-war piece of gear. There were a fair number of examples of private purchase "body armor" sold during WWI for officers and probably more than a few examples issued to or used by EM in every army.

An example of an early British set of body armor:

http://www.monsmilitaryantiques.co.u...em.php?id=1285

The buckle, though almost impossible to see, is similiar in that it too appears to have sharp points that hold the strap tight rather than rounded points with corresponding eyelets in the belt.

And from the IWM:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30095401
          Last edited by blinky; 05-28-2014, 08:41 AM.

Comment

As I mentioned, all the Japanese vests I've seen private purchased or issued all had interior labels or markings of some kind. Can you recheck interior to see if there are any remnants or signs of old markings?

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
              As I mentioned, all the Japanese vests I've seen private purchased or issued all had interior labels or markings of some kind. Can you recheck interior to see if there are any remnants or signs of old markings?
              I have bought the vest this evening so will give it a good check tommorrow for any markings and at the same time will take some more detailed photos...

Comment

Picked up the vest last night, just spent the morning dusting it off and have taken some more photos, the buckle has "Paris" on it so must be European ?
                <O</O
                I have moved it to the correct forum here ..

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...93#post6445993
                <O</O
                Mods if you wish to delete this thread please do so as it appears not to be Japanese.

Thanks

Mark
                Last edited by Mauser; 05-29-2014, 05:29 AM.

Comment

"...the buckle has "Paris" on it so must be European ?"

Not to give false hope but many period Japanese Uniforms and civilian cloths have metal hardware with markings from France or Europe, e.g., belt hooks, pant cinch hooks, grommets, etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X