Chromuim/Nickel Plated Arisaka Bayonets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromuim/Nickel Plated Arisaka Bayonets

Has anyone got any information or knowledge regarding chromium or nickel plated Arisaka bayonets?

I have tried a bayonet forum already, although many collectors do a appear to have plated examples in their collection no one has any idea exactly who did this and why. Most prefer to assume that a US or Brit vet had the bayo they brought back chromed simply to make it look nice.

I know from a little research on the net that the Japanese did experiment plating rifle parts to resist corrosion in tropical environments why not bayonets?

Is there such a thing as a Japanese plated parade model Arisaka bayonet?

Hope someone out there has the answers!

Thanks for reading.

Steve.

MANY, MANY years ago, I subscribed to a now defunct journal that dealt with collecting Japanese militaria. I remember an article about chrome Arisaka bayonets that stated that some were originally chromed by the Japanese for use by the guard detachment at the Imperial palace. I have never been able to actually verify it with any other source.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Johnnie

Originally posted by yellow
    Has anyone got any information or knowledge regarding chromium or nickel plated Arisaka bayonets?

I have tried a bayonet forum already, although many collectors do a appear to have plated examples in their collection no one has any idea exactly who did this and why. Most prefer to assume that a US or Brit vet had the bayo they brought back chromed simply to make it look nice.

I know from a little research on the net that the Japanese did experiment plating rifle parts to resist corrosion in tropical environments why not bayonets?

Is there such a thing as a Japanese plated parade model Arisaka bayonet?

Hope someone out there has the answers!

Thanks for reading.

Steve.

Comment

Many years ago, I purchased a nickle plated bayonet from a US Army veteran. he told me that he aquired it in Korea. A special guard detachement marched in in full parade dress, surreendered their rifles and bayonets along with the officers surrendering their sidearms and swords. The blade had been poorly stored for many years resulting in loss of 98% of the plating on the bayonet. However, the plating had aged better on the scabbard. I hae also owned over the years two shin gunto swords with nickle plated scabbards and Showa era blades. I have no doubt that these were worn by special guard units at important buildings inside and outside of Japan.

Bob

Comment

Steve,

I have collected Japanese bayonets for 25 plus years and I have owned several chrome-platted examples. However, I am of the opinion that the (chrome-platted) bayonets were chrome-platted after the war, as souvenirs, for the occupation market. Not only could chrome-platted bayonets be obtained (during the occupation), but so could chrome-platted rifles, pistols, etc.

Eric

Comment

Eric, I couldn't agree more. Post war Japan & Korea had Mom & Pop souviner plating shops. Many captured irems were also nickel plated for V.F.W. halls to display. I always buy the item not the story.

Comment

Many thanks for your replies and opinions gentleman.

Bob,

Do you happen to have any pics of the bayonet or the swords that you used to own?

Steve.

Comment

Hello Steve-

Sorry, but I never bothered to take photographs. I must respectivly disagree with my colleagues on this Forum with regards to their opinion on the non use of nickle plated scabbards by Japanese military forces in period. It was not uncommon then or today for special detail military guard units of many countries to be outfitted with special equipment. I have been a collector for well over fourty years and have encountered many unusual artifacts which in later years were found to be authentic rarities. I have purchased many items directly from military veterans in this period In the case of the man I bought this bayonet from, he had no reason to fabricate how he aquired the item. He described in detail the unit's surrender to the American forces. He told me he took one of the bayonets with the "shiny scabbard" as it was different from the thousands of others being surrendered. Further, he also had several standard bayonets among his things. He did not value any of the bayonets more than others. I found his tale to be credible and honest. Several years later, I showed it to one of my Japanese sword collector friends who had been in the military during the war. He immediately said that the piece had been worn by special army guard units. Some day, I am sure confirming evidence of the period existance of nickle plated bayonets and shin gunto scabbards will come to light.
              Bob

Comment

Certain model Japanese swords came with nickel plated scabbards. Without period photos I doubt you can ever 100% prove the Japanese used nickel plated bayonets, rifles or pistols. The Japanese military were strict in keeping issued weapons "as issued".

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth
                  Certain model Japanese swords came with nickel plated scabbards. Without period photos I doubt you can ever 100% prove the Japanese used nickel plated bayonets, rifles or pistols. The Japanese military were strict in keeping issued weapons "as issued".
                  I have yet to see any period photographs of a shin gunto sword mounting with nickle finish but have seen two, one of which I owned. It had the standard Army style fittings on the scabbard, which had been applied afte the finishing of the scabbard. I am not talking about the kyu-gunto mounting. This was the standard style worn by Japanese Army officers during the Second World War.
                  Bob

Comment

Purchasing an item from a veteran, and hearing how that veteran obtained the item, can surely not be overlooked. Hopefully, some period photographs will surface someday that will show chrome-platted bayonets being used by the Japanese.

Thanks to all who posted their thoughts on this issue.

Comment

I recently acquired this plated Japanese bayonet in a collection. My first thought was that it was another GO acquired souvenir... But, if so, it doesn't make sense that the arsenal marking would remain so crisp and clear. That and the obvious age and use at grip fittings leans me to the theory that it's a parade dress piece.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The only "special" guards unit the Japanese ever had were the Imperial Guards Divisions and they used standard equipment as far as I think anyone has ever seen or heard. Blinging things up was not something the Japanese got up to.

Comment

Wow this is an ancient post! My opinion hasn't changed in all these years. I still firmly believe these were plated post war. Either in Japan for occupied GI's or in the states for VFW halls etc. One thing I can say with certainty is that I wouldn't pay an additional penny more for a plated curiosity! Also the Arsenal stamps do not look crisp to me but what I'd expect from a plating.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X