My Favorite Japanese Combat Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Favorite Japanese Combat Helmet

Hope everyone is doing well! From my collection - This is my favorite Japanese Combat helmet

Proper Nouns

Sakamoto and Ōtsuka - both surnames/placenames, but I'm guessing: "Sakamoto [from] Ōtsuka.

Sakamoto
    could be any one [or more?] of the following kanji:
    Sakamoto
    , , ,

Ōtsuka [done in a cute-artistic manner to look like people]

--Guy

Comment

thats a good looking combat helmet,, was the net original to the helmet

greetings Bruno

Comment

Guy:

Thanks for the translation!

Bruno:

Thanks! That's the way I got it, so I assume that the net is original to the helmet.

Matt

Comment

Bringing this back to the top for discussion, as its being sold on the e-stand and internet for a premium price.

In my opinion, the helmet is a nice combat worn type 90 helmet. The helmet has obviously seen a lot of use, and that gives it character. The net does not appear to be close to an original helmet net. It looks more like a net taken from a fishing float and adapted to the helmet. It looks like this was done recently, when the modern crafting raffia was used to attach the net to the helmet. The raffia has no wear or age to it, and certainly would not have held up over the years. In my opinion, the net and raffia detract from an otherwise decent combat used and salty helmet. I only mention this, so someone does not unknowingly buy a helmet they think has an original net applied wartime on the helmet. What do others say? No disrespect to the seller. He stated that this was the way it was when he got it.

PG-

Comment

Hi Paul G,

Thanks for your comments on my helmet. This is exactly how I purchased it. It was originally purchased at a motel buy back in the 90's. I have had my own thoughts about the net and raffia but that's the way it was when I purchased it so I have left it that way. The new owner can decide whether they want to keep it on or take it off.

Matt

Comment

I agree with Paul. I have my doubts

Comment

I hope I'm not out of line for asking this but-with the camo net in doubt, what makes this a $2200 helmet? I've seen much better ones go for far less than half of that. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
                  I hope I'm not out of line for asking this but-with the camo net in doubt, what makes this a $2200 helmet? I've seen much better ones go for far less than half of that. Am I missing something?
                  In Todays market (mid 2014), this is what I have seen lately:

IJA helmet- salty $600-$700
                  IJA helmet- nice used $750-850
                  IJA helmet- minty $850-$950
                  IJA textbook original net (net only) $350-$400
                  IJA originally netted helmet-nice used $1200
                  IJA original helmet cover nice used -minty $700-$1000
                  IJA original nice used - minty covered and netted helmet $2200-$2300

Keep in mind that beyond the sum of the parts, there is certainly a premium worth paying for a helmet that is undoubtedly in its original wartime configuration, i.e. a helmet and net that have been together forever. Provenance is always a bonus. I am completely out of touch with IJN helmets and pricing.
                  All values are approximate, based on recent E-bay sales and dealer websites sold pricing.

PG-
                  Last edited by Paul G; 08-04-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Dead on Paul. Totally agree with your evaluations!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X