nambu question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nambu question

I am looking to purchase a Jap nambu in nice collectable condition. Where is a good source to buy it from and what do they go for? Thanks, DEL

Del,

There a many different types of "nambu" pistols.

One could spend several hundred to several thousand dollars on a "nambu."

I recommend checking out some of the on-line auction houses (e.g., Auction Arms [http://www.auctionarms.com/]) to get a better "feel" for what you might be looking for.

I also recommend going to some shows and chatting with the folks that carry this type of hardware.

Finally, after you have done your research, I recommend purchasing a "nambu" from a reputable dealer.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Del Panfini
      I am looking to purchase a Jap nambu in nice collectable condition. Where is a good source to buy it from and what do they go for? Thanks, DEL
      Del,
      Eric is correct, there are many variations of the Nambu pistols. You can pretty well divide them into two groups pricewise.
      First, the WWII era semi-autos. Types 14 and 94. Depending on condition, will run you from around $300 to $500. Holsters will add considerably to those prices if in good condition. Some earlier revolvers will fall in this price group.
      Second group is the higher priced one. Into that category would fall the Grandpa, Papa, and Baby Nambus. From looking at what they sell for on the internet sites, and from personal experience, these would start at around $1000. and elevate rapidly from there. The Baby and Grandpa being the top of the heap. Here too, accessories will command a premium. Often the leather for these is harder to come by than the pistol. It would not be uncommon to pay as much as $500 for a good holster for a Baby. IF you could find it!!
      Look long and hard. Good examples are out there, you just will have to look thru a lot of dogs!!!

Ronnie
      The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Comment

for info on Nambu pistols check out http://www.members.shaw.ca/tju/jhg.htm

for prices have a look at these websites, both have type 14 for sale:-

http://www.oldguns.net/cat_fa_old_hand.htm
        http://www.gunsamerica.com/2010/2010-random-1.htm

Comment

20 date T14's

How hard are the 20.X date T14's to find? I have been looking for one made in the last year of the war for sale, and have not found one. It would seem they wouldn't be that rare- am I wrong on that?

Comment

Ronnie is correct. There are many different types of "Nambu" pistols. In fact the term, "Nambu" is simply the name of a Japanese General who became the formost weapons designer in Japan. He is kind of like the John Browning of Japan. He designed most of thier pistols and also many of the machine guns that the Japanese military used.

However, unlike John Browning, who designed weapons that were simple and rugged. Nambu designed weapons that were overly complicated, full of little gagets, and not very rugged under combat conditions.

As for pistols, it really depends on what you want, and what you are willing to spend. As Ronnie pointed out the most common ones are the WWII vintage weapons, such as the Type 14 and Type 94 pistols. The later being probably one of the worst combat service pistols ever made. I've seen both of these types sell for under $300 in some cases!

Next up would be the Papa and baby Nambu pistols. Higher end pistols. Finally there is the Grandpa Nambu. A very high $$ pistol. Accessories for these are also hard to find (especially the Grandpa! try finding a holster or spare mag for one! Very tough to find!)

Matt

Comment

Mrfarb,

I checked with a Japanese pistol collector friend of mine regarding 20.X Type 14s and here is what he had to say...
              I see them from time to time. The early months Jan thru May seem to be the easier ones to find. June is hard, July is super hard and of course an Aug date is almost impossible.

Some folks think that they are worth more and I don't agree until you get into the June and July time frame when the price jumps way up. All July dates so far reported are missed matched. Expect to pay around $1000.00 for a July date.
              Hope this helps.

Eric

Originally posted by mrfarb
              How hard are the 20.X date T14's to find? I have been looking for one made in the last year of the war for sale, and have not found one. It would seem they wouldn't be that rare- am I wrong on that?

Comment

late T14's

Thanks Eric- this does help- now, to find one....and it doesn't have to be July....

Comment

mrfarb

I just picked up a nice April 1945 Type 14, matching numbers with holster for $300. You just have to keep your eyes open.

eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X