Japanese sextants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese sextants

I have two sextants dug up at Rabaul (can't post image). The local guys who found them assumed they were Japanese (as most thing are), but a close look at them shows no markings (except the numerals on the quadrant on the left one). I have not attempted to clean them as the filters etc threaten to fall off when handled. They are now safely in a display cabinet in the Rabaul museum.
    They were found in the remains of wooden boxes, with their telescopes missing, deliberately buried under an old German tramline (1910-1914). It can be imagined that if you wanted to bury something, but be able to find it again later, putting it under a tramline would be a good idea (i.e. under fifth tie from junction etc.)
    At Rabaul Imperial Powers have been in the situation of suffering imminent defeat and thus rushing to destroy or hid useful items three times - Germans 1914, Australians 1942 and Japanese 1945.
    From the general pattern does anyone have any idea which? The fact that the left one has a non-martial heart design as part of its lattice work would point to it not being an official issue.

I would doubt they would be hidden by the Japanese, however, being hidden by Australians or civilians in 1942 for later use in an "escape" makes sense. Bury the sextants (and probably other potential sea-survival items) in a place where they would be easy to retrieve when the time came to find a boat to escape in. The men who took to the hills and jungles probably never had a chance to return to use them.
    They sound like an amazing piece of local history, there must be a very cool story behind them ending up buried there

Comment

Yes it would be an unusual place for the Japanese to leave them. But I was leaning toward German 1914 as there is documentary evidence for several things being buried as they knew the Australian Naval and Expeditionary Force was coming. According to the German Post Master this includes their store of gold New Guinea coinage!
      Tunnels of Japanese weapons were sealed up and the locals were told by the Japanese this was for when they came back. Wishful thinking from the units who did it. It’s fun, however, when one of these is found.

Comment

You are probably right, the heart shape wasn't unheard of on late 1800 era sextants according to a friend, which would put it closer the era of the Germans.

Comment

Picture of the sextants.
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X