WW2 Officer Katana with Forged Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Officer Katana with Forged Blade

Showing here what I understand to be a hand-forged blade fitted into WW2 Officer Gunto fittings. The blade which has a temper line shows the result of improper storage at some point in time as there is pitting and corrosion toward the front end. There are a few substantial nicks. The tang has two "kanji" characters which I have attempted to replicate for ease of reading. The approximate measurements are: blade (tip to tsuba) 28 inches; overall blade and grip 38-1/2 inches; and overall in the scabbard 40 inches. The decorative, non-magnetic tsuba and other fittings show the "sakura" motif.

I am wondering if the blade might be an ancestral one fitted into WW2 military rigging to be carried into battle by the family member.

All feedback and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

John
    Attached Files

Grip & Tang:
    Attached Files

Comment

More
      Attached Files

Comment

Kanji character markings
        Attached Files

Comment

Kanji replication and blade
          Attached Files

Comment

Sectional blade views:
            Attached Files

Comment

More sectional blade views (2):
              Attached Files

Comment

More (3):
                Attached Files

Comment

More (4):
                  Attached Files

Comment

Old blade but the flaws and condition kill it
                    Sorry

Comment

Yes a hand made pre-Meiji period blade unsigned by a smith as likely part of a mass order for blades by a daimyo. Older blades mounted in military mounts are not necessarily "ancestral blades," a term too often used in error. The majority of the IJA officers did not come from the former samurai class thus not having a family blade to take to war. If they had a hand forged older blade, they likely purchased it from a sword merchant. An unsigned shinto such as this would have been quite reasonable at the time.

Comment

Nick - thanks and yes, I understand about the flaws and condition of this blade, by which I guess you mean the value, in particular.

Bob - I appreciate your comments and the dating. Thanks very much. I looked-up the era dates and being of pre-Meiji production, or Shinto as you indicated, puts it as a sword made during the Edo era between 1600 - 1867. I find this to be quite nice, in spite of the condition and flaws. This blade has been around a long time. Certainly gives it character and, while I understand that the majority of the IJA officers did not come from the former samurai class, although it cannot be proven I guess there might still be an outside chance that the blade was, indeed, owned by a person of noble samurai ancestry who carried it into WW2.

As a blade unsigned by a smith, I am hoping that someone can identify the meaning and significance of the kanji characters which appear on the tang or nakago.

Comment

The kanji have been removed so it probable it was gimei

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X