Need your help on an Arisaka "last ditch" bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your help on an Arisaka "last ditch" bayonet

Got a call from a local guy and said that he had a Japanese bayo I may be interested in (I collect US WWII mostly) so I went and had a look. It turns out that it was a very late war type bayo with a wood scabbard, which I have never seen. I own a few of these, but all with the typical metal scabbard. It is missing the tie strings that hold the 2 piece scabbard together, but other than that this is the nicest shape Arisaka bayo that I have ever seen. Frog leather is almost perfect, blade is very nice, and the scabbard is in great shape especially for being wood. Now the questions to you are:
    1. Do you see anything that I should be concerned about with this rig?
    2. What is something like this (I have never seen one) worth in this condition.......he didn't have a price set.
    3. Are these rare?

Thanks in advance for your help....sorry for the crappy I-Phone pics, but it was all I had when I went to see him.
    Attached Files
    Brian Dentino

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WWII GLIDER INFO/ITEMS...ESPECIALLY 325TH GIR

more....
    Attached Files
    Brian Dentino

Comment

Attached Files
      Brian Dentino

Comment

.....Thanks again in advance for your help, and if you need more pictures of anything please let me know and I will try and get back down to him on Monday evening.....thanks! Again, fair value would be much appreciated on this since we have a long established relationship I do not want to over pay, but will give slightly below market value on my offer....thanks!
        Attached Files
        Brian Dentino

Comment

With respect, it is not, in my view, a last ditch nor even a late war bayonet. The scabbard is late war, but again, not last ditch, and I'd value it at no more than 125USD from what I can see in those pictures.

Others may well view it differently.

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Further to my last. Have a look here when your time permits. It will show you quite a bit about the Japanese bayos and their developmental time lines.

http://www.japanesebayonets.net/

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
              Further to my last. Have a look here when your time permits. It will show you quite a bit about the Japanese bayos and their developmental time lines.

http://www.japanesebayonets.net/

Regards,
              Stu
              Great information Stu.....thanks! I appreciate the help. Learn something everyday in this hobby!!!!!!
              Brian Dentino

Comment

Hi Brian,

You are welcome and I'm pleased that you were not offended by my reply.

If you just want a single example keep your eye on the Estand. They can be had without frogs but in reasonable condition for 75-85 USD. In fact there is one there now at 80 USD.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=732580

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                  Hi Brian,

You are welcome and I'm pleased that you were not offended by my reply.

If you just want a single example keep your eye on the Estand. They can be had without frogs but in reasonable condition for 75-85 USD. In fact there is one there now at 80 USD.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=732580

Regards,
                  Stu
                  Thanks again Stu, I do not collect Japanese items but found this one interesting due to the wood scabbard. I have a couple of these with frogs that I have picked up along the way, so no I am not on the market for one of these right now but thank you.
                  Brian Dentino

Comment

Dear Brian I agree with Stu's evaluation. Perhaps a little less. String wraps on scabbard are missing, strap on frog as well & that mid period bayonet should be found in a steel scabbard not in a wood scabbard

Comment

There are no blood grooves on last ditch arisaka's bayo. And the guard are straight too.

Comment

Thanks again for all the help folks! I will pass on this one.....
                        Brian Dentino

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X