Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Killed in Action grouping.

Afternoon all.
    Just thought you would like to see my newest addition to the old collection. A nice 'deceased soldiers grouping' to a IJA Private first class Toshikazu Fujita. Included was his medals, a photo and frame, a bereved relatives badge, a wooden tag and a booklet with a map in the back.

Just 2 questions. What does the wooden tag thing say, and does anyone know of a language translation service that I could employ to get the booklet and 'funeral card'(?) translated? Thanks

I hope you all enjoy.

free uploader

image hosting over 10mb

image hosting gif

image hosting no account

photos upload

photoupload

upload img

image search

upload photo

The metal frame was a gift from the Army-Navy Departments

Oku [gift]

靖国神社臨時大祭記念
    Yasukuni Jinja Rinji Taisai Kinen
    Yasukuni Shrine Extraordinary Festival Memorial

陸軍省海軍省
    Rikugun-Shō Kaigun-Shō
    Department of the Army Department of the Navy

--Guy

Comment

Wooden tag:

[I need help from Nick-san and Taka-san]

動員理師團留守第十六師團

Mobilization ? ? Division Detached 16th Division
      [not certain that I correctly identified the green kanji]

歩兵第百九聨隊十一中隊

11th Company 109th Infantry Regiment
      [聯隊 is an alternate of the more common 連隊]
      literally: Infantry No. 109 Regiment 11 Company

故陸軍歩兵上等兵藤田利一

Late Army Infantry Lance Corporal Fujita Toshikazu

[stamp] 第一一六?
      No. 116 ?

--Guy

Comment

Guy, the Green kanji is 動員管理師団 Mobilization administrative division. 留守第16師団 means the reserve/replacement division that was set up within the home turf of the 16th division while the division is mobilized outside Japan. The 16 Division proper had a 9th Inft Regiment and the replacement regiment thereof is denoted by an according designation in the 100 number range, namely the 109 regiment the soldier belonged to. By the way, his first name could have also been Riichi and not necessarily Toshikazu. 

Comment

Thank you Nick and Guy. Much appreciated. In your learnered opinion what would be the purpose of this tag. Could it have been tied to the top of a box with all his personal belongings that were sent home?

Comment

The standard tags used for mailing packages, etc in those days were paper tags with thin wire on them, but it is very plausible that in this case, it was attached to his personal belongings or even his cremated remains in an urn with a separate tag showing his home address. For reference, attached is a photo of a new draftee mailing kit, used to ship home his civilian clothes, etc after receiving his army kit. It contained wrapping paper, cord for tying and an address tag.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
              Guy, the Green kanji is 動員管理師団 Mobilization administrative division. ..... etc .... great info .... etc.  
              Thanks Nick -- I'm always learning every time you post a response.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Nick, That is an awesome reference you have their. Thank you for sharing.

Now I have had a thought, with the booklet, In Australia when ever there is a funeral a little card type thing is produced with a photo of the deceased and some information on his life.... Could the booklet be something similar, like a sort of keep sake for those that attended his funeral?

Also would the small document that is typed up with the soldiers photo(that was folded up and put into the photo frame) be something that would be given out by the army or would it have been given top the family when the soldiers remains were enshrined?

Guy, I share your sentiments exactly, always learning when ever I log on.

Cheers gents.

Comment

He died in early October of 1938 and that month they had the annual big enshrining ceremony of war dead at Yasukuni Shrine, but most likely he made it only into the Oct 1939 ceremony. Here is the photo album from the 39 event with a listing of the KIA soldiers in the last pages. You should find his name there with his home address. http://www2.kokugakuin.ac.jp/kaihats..._s1410_01.html
                  The 38 album is also here in case they were quick in processing his death
                  http://www2.kokugakuin.ac.jp/kaihats..._s1310_01.html

His parents would also be among the group photos therein.

Comment

Thank you Nick for the link. Now is there any chance you could tell me which column I should be looking in for my guys name?

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry, don't have the time to go through the list, as it does not appear to be in the order of the Japanese version of ABCs, namely AIUEO

Comment

Cheers Nick, I can appreciate your time being valuable. I have been scanning every page looking for my mans name (兵藤田利一) within the pages, but would like to know which row is the 'name' row, so as to make my task a little easier.

On the page that I have included in the post below, I can see that each group of names and addresses are broken up into 3 rows each section, with 3 sections to a page.

I know its quite simplistic, but any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Comment

You should be looking at the second row in each section for 藤田利一, First row is the branch of service and rank, the third row is the home address. The single kanji lined up in the first row of the second and third sections simply mean ditto.

Comment

Your awesome Nick. Thank you so much.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X