Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this flag appear to be wartime or post war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this flag appear to be wartime or post war?

Hello everyone,
    Does this small flag appear to be a wartime flag, or a post war flag? The writing on the left states:
    第七回海鵬會総會(written on the upper-left corner) = The general council of the imperial Japanese navy association. The other writing is said to be prayers. Can any of our native speakers hear confirm this? If this is so, do you get the feeling that this is wartime or post war? Thanks for your insight

PG-
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Last one showing the backside / for construction image only, I realize the writing is backwards. Thanks everybody

PG-
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't know where you got the translation for 海鵬會, meaning large sea bird association, but it sounds like a post war veteran's association. There are no prayers, only names. I think this is from a post war get-together of navy vets.

Comment

Hi Nick, Thats what I was thinking as well, as post war veterans gathering commemoration flag. The translation was copied directly from the sellers description, who is out of Japan. He is currently offering 2 for sale on e-bay. Do you think he is misrepresenting the flags with an obscure description? It kind of sounds like it., as his description of "prayers" are actually names. Names over prayers points more as you say Nick, post war Veterans association commemorative. Thanks Nick, here are the (2) auction links if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191114275639...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201060219549...84.m1423.l2649

PG-

Comment

Hmmmmm .... it looks like the pair (or similar pair) last sold in Japan on 3/16/14 for about $120.00.

日章旗 日の丸 第7回海鵬会総会 寄せ書き ミリタリー28

and previously on 3/2/14 for $67.00
            --Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
              Hmmmmm .... it looks like the pair (or similar pair) last sold in Japan on 3/16/14 for about $120.00.

日章旗 日の丸 第7回海鵬会総会 寄せ書き ミリタリー28

and previously on 3/2/14 for $67.00
              --Guy
              You are right Guy, they are a match! I think the seller is being a bit dubious, as he offered a slightly skewed translation to fit the idea that these were wartime flags!

PG-

Comment

And the seller on the Yahoo Japan site got a negative feedback for the first of his auctions on these flags. Something fishy to be sure. Also, as Nick pointed out with his translations, the ebay auction seller is not offering a 'slightly skewed translation,' he/she is lying. Let us call it what it is.

Comment

Why I love the Internet & this site. In the "old" days these would of easily sold for period combat originals

Comment

And what about the flag itself, is it a period army flag? I have a concern about the material, someone know when they left leather corner tabs, maybe an opinion on this matter? I love their big fat leather tabs.

Too bad the second seller choose to remove the pole, to make it more "combat look" I presume, They seem to be in plastic? It was a big clue.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X