Old forged Quan Dao, Boxer Rebellion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old forged Quan Dao, Boxer Rebellion?

Hello, some weeks ago a friend of mine found this in a flea market in a box of trash. It appears to be some kind of old pole arm. I believe it's rather old because of the dark patina, but I don't really know if it's only a wall hanger or a real weapon.

There are a beautiful river on one side of the blade and 3 pretty nice engraved kanjis other. I don't know if it's a sign of a well executed old weapon or a sign of a decorative item. It's heavy and the steel looks to be good, even if there are some accidents along the rusted cutting edge which might indicate some service (?).

Unfortunatly there is a hole that is not born with it, the patina is not the same around and inside it. I suppose someone drill it to fix it on the wall, which would let me think to some kind of bring back item. I really hope the kanjis could tell us what it is.

The "nakago" is unsign and broken, if it was longer it may have been a useful feature of the blade?

Please let me know what you think about it I would be happy to learn about this one. Thank you for reading and for your help.

Not Kanji, but Bonji 梵字 -- sanscrit.

I think they MIGHT be:

Saku
    Ban
    Man

Hopefully someone on the WAF has studied Bonji and can help.

--Guy

Comment

Hello Guy, thank you for your help, I in several alphabet such as Bengali, Shiddham, Tibetan which are all derivated from sanskrit, some are close but don't match 100%. I am pretty sure you found the first and the third. About the middle one what do you think about the middle low character on this picture, could it be this one instead of saku?

I have read that the japanese used Sanskrit characters in horimono, but I could not find a polearm with this shape of japanese origin. So I can't tell where it came from and when, not even sure it is really a Quan Dao either.
      Last edited by Staldion; 03-26-2014, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Staldion,

I think the bonji you are referencing (bottom middle) is the same one I referenced, but stylisticly a little different. The one you point out (#2) is attributed to Bishamon-Ten

According to the chart you attached:

#1, Saku, is attributed to Seishi Bosatsu and the horoscope Horse
        #2, Ban, is attributed to Dainichi Nyorai and the horoscope Ram/Monkey
        #3, Man, is attributed to Bishamon-Ten and the horoscope Rabbit

This order makes sense in Buddhist iconography since Dainichi Nyorai (Cosmic Buddha) is the main/center, and is flanked by two protectors or saints.

--Guy

Comment

Hello Guy, thanks again for your help, I have some news about it, it seems to be way much older than expected, there is a close, with same patina on on this thread:

http://swordforum.com/forums/showthr...-Kami-Kunihiro

And a link posted by the member D Friedman:

http://www.arco-iris.com/George/imag..._yamabushi.jpg (click to see full size)

Seems to be a Guandao or Yanyue dao because of its inventor the general Guan Yu. It should have a dragon head as habaki.

We found information about the Shingon sect which used these bonji. It could be for temple procession but was also used in battles like a fauchard.

Comment

I cannot find any entries of "seiryoken" as stated in the poster; I'm betting the "ken" is 剣 sword. Howerver, I found similar naginata on Swordforum.com:

[EDIT: OOPS .... that's the same site Staldion posted ]

Dear Nihon-to friends,
            I traditionally stay in the Chinese Swordsmanship area. I venture here today to see if anyone could provide me any information or references on swordsmith "Kami Kunihiro".

I am quite new to the Japanese sword arts, but also have a deep appreciation of the true blade.

I have happened to have stumbled across an unusual Naginata made by Kami Kunihiro, it is made in the Chinese style of mythical General Kwan Yu's halberd. It is quite unusual and not following the traditional design of Naginata, but as said, following a more Chinese style, but pure Japanese workmanship par excellence.

It is the first time I have seen a Chinese design version of a Naginata. Perhaps it is a missing link from the evolution of the Naginata ??? Please educate me on this as I am very new to this subject (Japanese Warrior Arts).

Any information to help me learn more about HoriKawa Shinano Kami Kunihiro would be most appreciated.

Warmest regards

D. Friedman

And after a light polish:

I really like it's meaty nakago/tang -- it looks like it could withstand battlefield conditions.

And another poster on SF added this image:

--Guy
            Last edited by GHP; 04-01-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

By the way .... just to make us CRY ...

.·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

.・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.

... how much did your friend pay?

--Guy

Comment

Hello Guy, thank for posting the pictures it is way better for reference but I was quite lazy yesterday!

I heavy check Seiryoken too, I only found Saint Seya references, made me laugh because that is not what I expected but I enjoyed this manga so much when I was kid.

I think now that all the terms in the description telle what kind of blade it is: a naginata in Kwan Yu (Guan Yu) general hallebard style similar forging than a ken? Be careful as I don't have any proof to support what I just say this time. Just trying to make some sense to the description of the polearm from the Metropolitan Museum.

I think my friend got it between $40-$60.

Do you think I should post it on the NMB forum? My friend ask me if he should clean the blade, I show him the link you found and we both think the naginata was nicer before being cleaned - polished. He also saw the very high estimation provided on the Sword forum. I told him the signature make a lot of the value. Considering his exemple is unsigned and seems to have been shortened. He would be curious about the value in this condition. To be honest I am quite curious too! That is a really nice find, maybe his nicest to be honest if it is really that old. He also found a revolutionary pike I like a lot but this is another story!

Comment

Staldion,

I have no idea as to worth, etc. But $60?????? That is like finding a jewel! "Well done" to your friend.

Above all -- DO NOT clean the blade. If he wants it to be polished, he should seek a knowledgeable sword appraiser look first. They can polish a very small "window" to see if there is a temper, then tell you if it is worth spending the very expensive fee to have it professionally polished.

The real experts on this forum can tell you how to further protect the blade, or what/ what not do.

Wow!

--Guy

Comment

Hi Guy,
                    Yep I told him to not clean the blade, we both think it is nicer with the dark patina, (unless it does have a hamon) keeping the time proof on it than making it all fresh and shiny. And not clean the tang in anyway.

He asks me the cost of proper polishing, I told him it was something like one hundred $ per cm, isn'it? If so it will more likely stay like this for a while.

He just may not keep it either, make room for other items and get some cash for his trip to Australia would be fine for him. Hope he will not regret it if he makes that choice! I would!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X