Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kai gunto and navy dagger still producing today, best quality replicas ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kai gunto and navy dagger still producing today, best quality replicas ever made?

Hello everyone,
    I suppose some of you already know this japanese shop, they were working during the war for the IJN as far as I understand, and keep producing IJN koshirae after the war untill now with imitation blades inside.

The result is pretty nice and accurate when sold as replica, but could be quite dangerous in the hands of a dishonest seller.

So I though I would share the link of their shop here as reference in the case some of their swords would pop up on ebay or elsewhere:

http://www.japansword.co.jp/military.html

Some of the interesting pictures on the page:

Cheers!

Thanks for posting..Impressive replicas so close to the real deal!

Comment

They could have been better. Some issues with the details.

Comment

Hi Luis, you are welcome, hope this would help!

Hello Thomas, I think it is hard to judge on that low quality picture, maybe they had the same issues with their period production too? The fake blade is easy to spot. Still some dangerous koshirae, I love the IJN dagger, but I think I will be more confortable with a shark skin scabbard than leather covered version now.

I noticed they still work for the japanese self defense force, if their daggers are good enough for them I believe they kept some nice production level and a lot of collector could be fooled if you make it less shiny.

I would have been fooled not being an expert on the subject.

[edit] And what about the early post war production? Did they used their period stock? Some of their works must be very hard to spot now. Specially if in collection from the 50-60s. Or bring back by US officer in occupation duty.

Comment

They used to run large ads in the Sunday newspapers, as nostalgic vets used to be their best customers, but I suppose they no longer run such ads.

Comment

The plastic same , is one big issue and the guard has a wrong look. The seppas looks off too.

Comment

What happend?
              The black and white photo from the workshop.
              Try look at the dagger in the front and right side. What happend to the guard?

It looks broken!

Comment

Yes, you're right.
                Battle damaged private purchase? ^^

I will know where it came from if I ever see one like this on ebay!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X