My Japanese helmet collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Japanese helmet collection

It's been a while since I posted on this forum. I really enjoy Japanese helmets, particularly those in rare configurations. As with German helmets, I favor Navy ones, particularly shipboard variants.

These are just some snaps I took of them together. They are not normally displayed in a fashion that allows for group photos, so I stacked them close together.

The nets and covers have been added, but are original, I believe. The covered/netted army helmets have provenance from the Battle of Attu, which as an Alaskan I have a special interest in.

The Navy helmets are all shipboard variants, including a rare blackish grey roundtop, a minty and as well as relic heavy shipboard with the nice nickel washed copper anchors, and a nice Type 90 (or Type 2) IJN marine blue helmet with a nice wooden name tag of a Petty Officer.

The green over shipboard IJN netted helmet is labeled to an artillery unit, and has a bullet ding on the lip of the rim which attests to having been in the thick of it. The chinstraps on that one are original replacements, as is the net, that came with it when I bought it from a forum member.

The white snow camo is of unknown provenance, but I am betting it came from the Aleutians as well.

I didn't fuss with studio lighting to take these "family snaps", so the quality isn't the best!

Japn helmets 1.jpg

liners.jpg
    Last edited by NARVIK1940; 02-23-2014, 01:53 AM.

[ATTACH]2810152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2810153[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]2810154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2810155[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]2810156[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2810157[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]2810158[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2810159[/ATTACH]

Comment

Nice Bunch of helmets there

PG-

Comment

PS, I always see people say how the upsidedown stars are just GI / post war messed with junk. Well, the other day while surfing the internet, I saw this.... Makes me think about that snow camo a little more! Its hard to see in this picture, but when its blown up you can see the star is upside down.

PG-
              Attached Files

Comment

Here it is.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I believe I have also seen similar pictures of upside down stars in period photos, but I didn't save them. I am completely comfortable with this helmet and the star configuration.

Comment

Hello,

I think that is not a period photo but from the movie "City of Life and Death"

Chris

Comment

Yes, from the movie "City of Life and Death" about Nanking massacre.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, Thanks. I thought it was a pretty nice pic. They did a good job on the equipment, as it fooled me!

PG-

Comment

great helmets

Great helmets and nice photography. The best reference is good pictures of original material. Thank you for sharing!

JIm
                          JapaneseOrdnance at Yahoo.com

Comment

Impressive mix of helmets, thanks for sharing again.

David.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X