• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rice Soup Bowls

Attached Files

Comment

Rice Soup Bowls

Hello Forum Members, After the serious previous discussion on re-patriating of swords. And that subjest does get serious at times.
      I have a question that is on a lighter note.
      I have some rice and soup bowls, that I bought in the late 1970's I can not find them. But I have a whole box full of them. They are all sort of a brownish color, made of darker clay. And the star is on the outside, now all the sudden I am seeing these pop up. With white porcelain and blue stylized stars and makers marks. The ones I had since the 1970's had green stars and makers marks. Up until recently all I had ever seen were like mine, supposedly used at military and flight training schools.
      Have I just missed these, or are they being faked or are the ones I had since the 1970's fakes. In the 70's they did not sell for enough to be faked I would not think ??
      Can any one help me on this simple subject.
      Thanks to all that respond,
      Jack
      Attached Files

Comment

The ones shown in this thread are common originals and the only type I'm familiar with.

Comment

Nick is correct..I have also dug up several of these intact in caves on Okinawa. Another one used by the army are the two ring bowls/cups, don' t see these come up for sale to often but dig them up all the time.

David.

Comment

Rice Soup Bowls

b
            Attached Files

Comment

Rice Soup Bowls

Hello all, Here is one of the soup bowls I bought in like 1979, I had it hanging on the wall in front of me and forgot about it. I have several of these and similar rice bowls with the darker ceramic and green star and makers mark.
              It appears to have a 28 on it. Could that mean 1928. As far as the makers mark I do not have a clue, but I always thought this was the type of mess hall and or soldiers food bowls and dishes.
              The difference in the clay used and the green star and makers mark make these totally different than the ones I posted earlier and am seeing sell today.
              Could they both be right ? and this is just an earlier example or is the small box I have of this type all wrong and not period at all ? as opposed to the rice/soup bowl I posted earlier. This is what I was confused about and If I had just looked one of the mentioned examples was right on my wall in my room.
              Jack
              Attached Files

Comment

rice Soup bowls

Any one, Any one ?
                Jack

Comment

rice/soup bowls

Any opinions from some one who has seen these ?
                  Thanks Jack

Comment

http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~watson/ref/mtsh.html

I don't think the 28 is for 1928. The Japanese used years based on the era of the emperor. So like Showa 01 would be 1926, Showa 15 would be 1940, and Showa 28 would be 1953. (see link)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X