Interesting "Command" Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting "Command" Helmet

Two years ago, I picked up an interesting Japanese helmet that I had not encountered before. Since that time, I have heard and/or seen three additional such helmets.

The helmet is of the Model 90 (i.e., 1930) design and is equipped with a Model 90 liner and Model 90 chin straps. However, what makes this helmet interesting is that there is a hand painted encircled kanji on the front of the helmet which translates to "hold/maintain/take/carry/have charge of."

Outside of the encircled kanji, lack of the standard five-pointed star insignia, and extra thick brown paint, the helmet appears to be a standard Army Model 90 helmet.

Here are some photos of the helmet...

Here is a close-up of the hand painted encircled kanji on the front of the helmet. Note the horizontal pencil (?) lines on top of the extra thick brown paint.

Comment

Here is a photo of the inside of the helmet...

Comment

Here is a photo of the underside of the front liner pad. The pad is manufacturer marked and dated (i.e., January 1942).

Comment

Here are two kanji that are hand painted on the inside rim of the helmet (kanji translates to "Command/Commander")...

Comment

Here is a photo of the rear liner band. Note the "DAI" kanji punched into the band indicating that the liner is a large sized liner.

Comment

Finally, here is a photo of the inside rear rim of the helmet. The white painted "DAI" kanji indicated that the steel shell was a large sized shell.

Comment

Rare helmet! Excellent photos Eric! I'd love to find out more about these unusual helmets. Any more out there?

Comment

Helmet!

Excellent helmet! Hope you find more info!

PVON

Comment

Eric
                    I've had two helmets a bit like this. The first was a similar set-up with a front rivet instead of a star and the kanji for "engineer." It also had thick paint so it was impossible to tell if a star had ever been attached or not.
                    The second was another Type 90 helmet with a rivet on the front but on the back was a wide horizontal white stripe and the remains of something in kanji. The writting was damaged however by schrapnel and was unreadable.
                    I traded them both several years ago but I think I have pictures of them. When I find them I will post them.

eric

Comment

Eric (a.k.a., Blinky),

Yes, the helmets you had sound interesting as well. If you find photos of the helmets, by all means, please post them on the forum.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X