Shots Fired in Anger,by Col.John George-great Jap reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shots Fired in Anger,by Col.John George-great Jap reference

I recently reread Col.John George's incredibly interesting account SHOTS FIRED IN ANGER and wanted to recommend it to ANY collector of Japanese militaria(and also to anyone interested in "sniper" subjects involving the Pacific War.)
    George started the war as a shooting champion who first saw action on Guadalcanal.
    He was an officer AND oftentimes a sniper(very unique.)
    But what makes his book so interesting to those interested in Japanese militaria is that George was very interested in this subject too.
    He spends much time describing uniforms,infantry weapons,heavy weapons,tactics,and a multitude of other "equipment" subjects involving the function and comparisons of U.S.& Jap gear,everything from the Jap canteens(which he found far better than the U.S. canteens and which a large number of U.S.jungle fighter infantry carried instead,to include the Jap mess kits...)to the insanity of "Banzai" charges,which worked well enough against poorly weaponed and badly led Chinese-but proved catastrophic against U.S.troops armed with weapons like the M-1 Garand,30 cal.m.g.,etc...
    There is so much information in this book that the reader will be swamped with the "grass roots"of Japanese militaria concerning application of equipment,strengths and weaknesses,etc.
    It's also a great read as Col.George served on "The Canal" but also was a member of Merrill's Mauraders.
    VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED(it's well over 500 pages.)
    J.v.C.

An excellent title. It's good to purchase the Tom Rowe recent reprint of this title. The original Samworth edition is a great collectible and continues to gain value.

I would also recommend the Samworth tltle, Ordnance Went Up Front by Roy Dunlap. Includes chapters on the rifle, pistols, and machine guns of the Japanese forces. Written by a renown gunsmith. One of the most sought after Samworth published titles.

Ramon

Comment

Shots Fired in Anger-by George!

Originally posted by ramon
      An excellent title. It's good to purchase the Tom Rowe recent reprint of this title. The original Samworth edition is a great collectible and continues to gain value.

I would also recommend the Samworth tltle, Ordnance Went Up Front by Roy Dunlap. Includes chapters on the rifle, pistols, and machine guns of the Japanese forces. Written by a renown gunsmith. One of the most sought after Samworth published titles.

Ramon
      Hi Ramon;
      My copy(1981) was given to me by Guy Richards(The chap who wrote the two excellent volumes on W.W.II Allied & Axis Parachutes.)
      (Guy is an excellent long distance marksman & we're both former S.F.snipers and long time friends.He's now contracting overseas...)
      Anyway I had no idea the original edition was so valuable.The copy Guy gave me was published in 1981 ,by the National Rifle Association.
      Col.George(also)has written the best clear-headed reasons for the American population to jealously guard their given Rights of private gun ownership.
      J.v.C.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X