IJA Soldiers Field Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJA Soldiers Field Cap

Here is a field cap i've had for a while now. I got it because of the great stitching on the side and the nice honest wear showing it had been worn.
    Would anybody be able to help me out on what the stitching reads? I would appreciate it greatly.
    Inside of the cap has had the MFT stamps worn/faded out.
    Thanks for letting me share.

阿部
    Abe [pronounced ah-bay]; family name

(小)
    Shou
    Small

--Guy

Comment

Thank you very much Guy San.

I wonder why he stitched the size onto the outside near his name?

Comment

Hi Michael-san,

I don't think that' s a size stitch.

It might be his first name, or unit name.

A very nice cap with sun flap loops stitched.

Cheers!
        Taka

Comment

Thank you very much Taka San.

I liked the honest used look of the cap.

Could the kanji(shou) that represents small be interpreted in a different way? Or does shou only represent the word small in Japanese?

Comment

Originally posted by FightenIrish35 View Post

...Could the kanji (shou) that represents small be interpreted in a different way? Or does shou only represent the word small in Japanese?
            It might indicate a unit, etc. Like in Welsh regiment, a soldier might be "Jones 2456" because there are so many Jones' in the army; perhaps that's the same case here?

Shō:

小 【お】 (pref) (1) (See 小川) small; narrow; (2) (See 小野) familiar prefix; (3) (See 小暗い) slightly; a bit
            小 【ぐゎー】 (suf) (small; little; dear (figurative sense)
            小 【こ】 (pref) (1) (See 小皿) small; little; slight; (2) (See 小半日, 弱・じゃく・1) slightly less than; just about; (3) (See こざっぱり) somewhat; somehow; (4) (See 小役人) minor (sometimes derogatory); petty
            狭; 小 【さ】 (pref) narrow; thin
            細; 小 【ささ; さざ】 (pref) (See さざ波) small; little
            小 【しょう】 (n,n-pref) (1) smallness; small item; (2) (See 小の月) short month (i.e. having fewer than 31 days); (3) (abbr) (See 小学校) elementary school; (4) younger or inferior (of two items or people with the same name); (5) (arch) unit of field area (approx. 400 sq m)
            (1) 大か、小か。 Large or small?

========
            FYI, the Romaji shō is the same as shou -- the diacritical mark above the vowel extends the sound.

--Guy

Comment

Remember seeing other unit names encircled. Very nice issued example. Neck flap loops were factory applied

Comment

Nice cap...I really like the named personalized items like this. I have an item that is similiar but has the kanji "中" in a circle like yours and the last name following. As some have mentioned could be symbol for small, medium, or large unit then commanders name?

Best, David

Comment

I agree David, possibly short form for "shotai" - platoon. Other such symbols on other items of clothing, hats, etc., might point to larger units: "chutai" - company, and "daitai" - battalion.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
                    I agree David, possibly short form for "shotai" - platoon. Other such symbols on other items of clothing, hats, etc., might point to larger units: "chutai" - company, and "daitai" - battalion.

Tom
                    This is one of the possible explanations for these symbols. There were a miriad of codes and symbols found on clothing and equipment used by the Japanese during the war. Very few of them have been positively identified.
                    Many of them were local small unit field designs known only to the troops in the area, and do not originate from any larger Army wide code plan, which makes ID impossible in most circumstances.
                    Nice cap!

CB

Comment

I just noticed the loops -- those are for the havelock, right? Are loops commonly found on field caps nowadays?

--Guy

Comment

Yes for havelock & loops were factory applied on most caps

Comment

Thanks Jareth.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks very much for the nice responses. Nice to understand now that it most likely relates to his unit designation.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X