Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Gunto Type 95?

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask your help. Dou you think this Gunto Type 95 is original at all?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hello,
    Yes, original NCO type 95.
    Not much paint remaining but all original!

Best regards.
    Last edited by Staldion; 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
      Hello,
      Yes, original NCO type 95.
      Not much paint remaining but all original!

Best regards.
      Thank you for your reply. Up to now I'm not really collected swords and I don't want to take a knock with my first purchase. I didn't find an exact one like this on ebay. Could you estimate a minimum and a mximum price?

Best regards

Comment

Looks like an authentic iron tsuba (hand guard), top latch, aluminum tsuka (handle) version from the Tokyo First Arsenal. Are there any stamping on the collar where the tsuka meets the tsuba?

Value in the 700+/- USD range from what I can tell based on those photos.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

I know where this sword is for sale, the seller want 700 euros for this sword.
          Some of this items are really overpriced, you could save some money with ebay.

The good point is the matched sword and scabbard.

You should take some advice about the seller's statement of this sword being battle damaged, there are indeed one or two impact in the tsuba but I don't know if they were made by small caliber or during shipping or post war.

That's the key point for me, a battle damaged type 95 could worth the 700 euros.
          A post war damaged type 95 would not.

(See picture five, near the top latch.)

This seller embellished some of his items story in the past, I remember him selling a banzaï medal for elite aviation that was just a Taisho enthronement commemorative medal. So be careful before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
            Looks like an authentic iron tsuba (hand guard), top latch, aluminum tsuka (handle) version from the Tokyo First Arsenal. Are there any stamping on the collar where the tsuka meets the tsuba?

Value in the 700+/- USD range from what I can tell based on those photos.

Regards,
            Stu
            As far as I can tell there isn't any stamping on the collar. Maybe some very week lines but it's not cearly visible. It may mean that this part is made after the ww2?
            Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
              I know where this sword is for sale, the seller want 700 euros for this sword.
              Some of this items are really overpriced, you could save some money with ebay.

The good point is the matched sword and scabbard.

You should take some advice about the seller's statement of this sword being battle damaged, there are indeed one or two impact in the tsuba but I don't know if they were made by small caliber or during shipping or post war.

That's the key point for me, a battle damaged type 95 could worth the 700 euros.
              A post war damaged type 95 would not.

(See picture five, near the top latch.)

This seller embellished some of his items story in the past, I remember him selling a banzaï medal for elite aviation that was just a Taisho enthronement commemorative medal. So be careful before buying.

Thank you for your help!
              How can he conclusively prove that this sword is a battle damaged one?
              Regards

Comment

Well, hard to proove, it is all about opinion. But I know some experienced members here had some battle damaged swords in hand, so let submit the pic to them and see what they think about it.

Do not be worry about the lack of marking on the collar, the early exemple have some, the mid to late war do not.

Comment

Originally posted by gaston79 View Post
                  As far as I can tell there isn't any stamping on the collar. Maybe some very week lines but it's not cearly visible. It may mean that this part is made after the ww2?
                  Regards
                  No, just that if the stampings (3) were present and clearly visible they would provide further information as to the origin of the piece.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

[QUOTE=Staldion;6269125] ... the mid to late war do not.

With respect, that is not always the case. I have examples with stampings on the iron fuchi.

Regards,
                    Stu
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Stu, no offense taken at all, I am always happy to learn something.

I only have one NCO in my collection, with plain iron tsuba but marked copper fuchi so thank you for sharing this example and correcting me at the same time.

I am often a listener so I am glad to help when I feel I can. Don't worry, I am not here to have the last word against you or anyone else, only to offer some help some fellow collector like I have received many times on this forum.

Learning is making mistakes without give up so please don't hesitate to correct me in the future. I will always respect and welcome the opinion of more experienced collectors like you. As for the fake sword database. I did not answer but I fully agree with you.

Cheers from France.

Comment

Looks original IMHO, but price seems high based on condition. Not minty, missing a lot of paint on handle, etc etc. Not suggesting significant drop in value, just think it's a bit high based on the condition.

Comment

Originally posted by reeder3 View Post
                          Looks original IMHO, but price seems high based on condition. Not minty, missing a lot of paint on handle, etc etc. Not suggesting significant drop in value, just think it's a bit high based on the condition.

I agree. That's about 1000 USD at this mornings exchange rate and as you can see I gave a value in the 700+/- USD range in my previous post. One thing I will add though is that in conversations with European based gunto collectors I have learned that the supply of the Type 95 seems to be far more limited than does the supply in the US. Perhaps though the ease of buying something on the continent outweighs the extra cost incurred in shipping and potential duties involved when purchasing from other parts of the world.

Regardless, it's an authentic piece and I'm sure you will enjoy it even if it's a bit costly.

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

[QUOTE=Staldion;6270634] ... I am always happy to learn something. ... /QUOTE]

Me too!

Regards,
                            Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X