Japanese wooden canteen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese wooden canteen.

Hello everyone, I was wondering about the authenticity of japanese wooden canteen (water bottle) as a late war piece of gear in the shortage material context.

We do know about the "last ditch" wooden scabbard ont both NCO's type 95 katana and arisaka's bayo, but I've found no information at all about them, even if I can't search everywhere as I am not able to use kanjis. Seems like even pictures are hard to find.

I've only seen two of them as far as I know, the first one on ebay, the second one on yahoo, both were coming from Japan. That's why I think they were never issued to front line unit, or I bet some allied soldiers would have brought back some of them and you would have seen one. Even if I don't know how a wooden water bottle would have resist to combat situation, state side shipping and post war use(less if not in the context of a collection).

By the way no strap on both, but the first one had two little metalic part on each side, that may replaced the little metallic buckles at the end of the canva harness to retain the leather strap which keep the cork/wooden stopper on the earlier model.

Let the pictures speak:

As you see the wood is covered by japanese laque and then badly/quickly painted with military paint via some large brush.

I would like to say "like the helmets!" but I don't own japanese helmet. So I don't really know even if I have seen some very beautiful pictures of non ess beautiful IJA helmets on this forum. So if a japanese helmet collector could share his feeling about the paint it would be kind.

The black laquer is also protecting the inside of the water bottle. So it's quite well made even if quick and economic.
    It seems that the canteen was painted with the stopper on as the khaki paint start where the stopper end.
    And as you can see, the stopper is in two pieces, the cap you can screw + another flat one plugged inside.

Any comments are welcome. Maybe there are references in Japan/japanese language I can't acces on the subjet.

Thank you for reading and assistance.
    Last edited by Staldion; 01-29-2014, 06:44 AM.

This one sold for $660. The seller was from Kyoto, Japan. And I do not know if that sale price is representative of the true value.

Images will probably be deleted by seller, so copy them to your files.

Originally posted by Seller
    This is wooden canteen manufactured in the last stage of World War II.
    There are a military prototype and a character in the carry of this canteen.
    There was no materials such as aluminum and iron in Japan of the last stage of World War II.
    This canteen was developed as a substitute of aluminum canteen.
    This canteen was manufactured by a wonderful technology.
    Manufacturing of wooden canteen is not easy in a present technology either.
    I think this canteen to be artistic equipment.
    The war had ended before this canteen was used in the actual combat.
    This canteen miraculously remained in unused.
    This canteen is an excellent condition.
    I think that the number of manufacturing is several because this canteen is a military prototype.
    This canteen will not be sold in the future.
    Please never miss this chance.
    --Guy

Comment

Hello Guy,

Yes it was the first one! Thank you very much for posting the pictures, I did not saved them the first time and failed to find it when I post this topic. It's now in my database thanks to you.

I did not remember it had a strap, sorry for my wrong info. I focused on the metal part that seems to be stuck in the laquer. Very cleaver construction.

I share your opinion about the price, I think it's a little expensive, I would rather buy something else for this price. But I remember not so long ago I have been tempted to buy a ceramic canteen for more than the actual value. But that's how ebay is working, if someone else find the item interesting, you'll have to fight and item will ends overpriced.

The one I posted sold for ... 2000 JPY ... Big difference, even if not as complete as the other one, there is much paint remaining, maybe a later prototype.

Could we believe the seller statement by the way? It makes sens but other opinions would be welcome.

Thanks again for you help Guy.

Comment

The one sold in Kyoto probably is a legitimate item. These are lacquerware called Wajima ware from Wajima in Ishikawa Prefecture. There, in the local museum one can see several examples. Rather than an effort by the army, I think these should be understood more as an effort of the local community to assist in the war effort and to somehow make ends meet at a time when no one was buying lacquerware for the traditional bowls and dishes. During the war, lacquerware that got wide circulation were cases for orders and these were more of a produce of Northern Japan like Aizu. These artisans had to adjust to the war by producing other war materials like wooden planes, propellers, sword fittings, military dishes, etc, etc. And the whole point of wooden canteens is not really to supply them to the army, but to contribute to the war effort by conserving metal. All civilians needed canteens, because of having to take shelter during air raids and the possibilty of disruption of water supply. If there was any idea to supply this to the military, that would have been a long shot, the immediate demand would have been the general population, to be sold as someting like a Patriot's Canteen.
        Attached Files

Comment

I understand perfectly, that makes even more sense when put back into the war effort context.
          I can see several size of canteens in the picture you posted Nick, but all without metalic suspension mounts. Harness are way more complex too. Could be just a variation or a repair from a previous owner. (The strap seems to be a bit damaged at the bottom of the canteen third pic of post two, like if some stitching were broken.)

The one I posted in the first post definitly seems to be one of them too. But was embellished with paint, maybe to looks like more military. All of them seem to be painted somehow, as we see the scheme of a brush on it, but not this much.

Well looks like I have my answer, this is a tricky item but still with some patriotic period history. A good example on how Japanese firms had to deal with metal shortage.

Thank you very much to both of you for your help and track back informations from Wajima museum I would never had guess! I think this thread will be a very helpful reference on this item for anyone looking to know more about the wooden canteens.

I just find some details about Wajima lacquers items confection I would like to share:

The first involves what makes Wajima lacquerware unique: Base wooden forms are reinforced by application of narrow strips of cloth with a thin coat of lacquer to parts that may be fragile or weak.

Next, locally mined clay is mixed with lacquer and glue to make a reinforcing compound that is applied to the surface of the base wood. This compound, which is harder than ordinary clay, permeates the wood, giving it strength and resistance.

After the cloth strips and lacquer are applied for reinforcement, coats of an intermediate, hard and dark lacquer are brushed on to the piece. Each layer is allowed to harden in a cool, humid area.

Following application of the intermediate lacquer, each piece is polished with special charcoal from Shizouka, near Mt. Fuji, and is checked for imperfections.

The final coat of lacquer must be applied in a dust-free environment to avoid a single speck from adhering to and ruining the flawless surface of the piece.

Source: http://articles.latimes.com/1991-08-...ma-lacquerware

I think this war production did not have the final charcoal polishing, that is why the brush sheme is obvious.
          Last edited by Staldion; 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X