Antique Store Kai-Gunto Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique Store Kai-Gunto Pickup

Here's one for y'all! I picked this one up about a few weeks before I went to basic and recently got it back with me. It came from an antique store ran by an old friend of my mom's. Bought this along with a Type 95 Tokyo First NCO that I sold to pay bills (one day, bills will be collectible!). As I garnered from the NMB, this was made in 1943 was Ishihara, Yoshisada, I believe.

Forgive me for the poor pics, but my situation at the moment is reminiscent of the pics! Will take closer pics of the blade as time allows.

Happy Hunting!
    Lev

Last edited by Death-Ace; 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM.

Yes, you are correct, Yoshisada of Seki

[] 義定
    [Seki] Yoshisada

昭和十七年
    Showa 17 Nen

--Guy

Comment

Thank you for the correction on the year! My question is why would they make sayas like this? I don't believe the cover to be leather, and the saya is a plain black scabbard with plain iron(?) fittings.

Lev

Comment

Originally posted by Death-Ace View Post
        Thank you for the correction on the year! My question is why would they make sayas like this? I don't believe the cover to be leather, and the saya is a plain black scabbard with plain iron(?) fittings.

Lev
        Hi Lev,

The simple answer is that the owner utilized the sword in a setting where that combat cover offered protection appropriate to the setting. Perhaps in some sort of shore duty setting. The ray and shark skin covered saya do not stand up well to inclement weather nor heavy impacts.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

Yours is a "field scabbard" -- the leather protects the wooden scabbard. No reason to have a high-value scabbard if it's to be used in the field (though sometimes you might find a lacquered scabbard underneath).

--Guy

Comment

Illustration of IJN field scabbard in use:

Photo credit to Maverick87 who posted it here. It was black and white, but he sent it out for colorization.

--Guy

Comment

Wow! Now that is an amazing photo. Thank you for all the replies!

Blue Skies,
              Lev

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X