translation help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

translation help please

hi lads, would you be so kind and translate the kanji for me, many thanks to all
    brenig.
    Attached Files

Really obscure .... but perhaps

重道作
    Shigemichi saku

????

--Guy

Comment

I don't think it's michi

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
        I don't think it's michi
        Hmmmm ... how about "nao"?

重直
        Shigenao

??????

--Guy

Comment

As the second mekugi ana has removed part of the kanji, it is difficult to read. I agree with Guy's first opinion. It is always helpful when posting a picture of a mei to also post a picture of the entire nakago. Is this a katana or wakizashi?

Comment

hi lads, the kanji is on a 29-5" katana, also better pic's of kanji, thanks, brenig.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, Brenig; although the kanji are sharper and clearer .... that middle one is killing me. I just cannot make it out. It does not appear to be michi, or nao ... and I just wonder if it could be tsune; but the balance just doesn't seem right even if you take into consideration the "standing heart" radical is erased by the hole.

So, here are the names we've considered so far:

重道作 Shigemichi saku
              重直作 Shigenao saku
              重恒作 Shigetsune saku.

Shigetsune was a ko-bizen smith active between 1199 and 1201.

Can we get a full shot of the blade's entire length to include the tang?

--Guy

Comment

hi guy, finding it very difficult to take pic's of sword's full length, but try these,
                brenig.
                Attached Files

Comment

another two, length in three stages?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lampstation View Post
                    another two, length in three stages?
                    Brenig,

Thanks for the additional photos. Though I am not an expert, these photos are enough for our resident experts to venture an opinion. They will not be able to tell exactly the quality without having it in hand, but the temper-line looks very nice, and the nakago (tang) also ... nice black patina.

Some small dings along the edge and the tip is broken, but if the sword is later deemed worthwhile, it could be worth restoring.

Remember, I'm not an expert ... I just like using the things!

Cheers!
                    --Guy

Comment

The shape and temper line would suggest this blade is from the early Edo period or possibly the end of the Momoyama period(around 1590-1624). The broken point could be a real problem as reshaping will remove most of the boshi or temper in the point. I have gone through my lists in the Nihonto Meikan, which is a sword dictionary list of all Japanese swordsmiths. I have not found any smith listed with any of the three kanji Guy has suggested that would fit in to the time period and work on this blade. I think only an in hand examination by an advanced sword student will be able to figure this one out.

Comment

looks like mino shigimichi to me as bob says 1580-1630
                        kissaki looks fine in the first photo almost full temper boshi

Comment

shigemichi usually didnt sign with 3 kanji so perhaps its an atomei??

Comment

hi lads, close up of tip, it hasn't lost it's tip just look's alittle blunt on the end
                            anyway many thanks to guy, bob, and nickn, for their comments much
                            appreciated as always, good luck, brenig.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Slightly tipped
                              Will be sorted with a fresh polish no real problem

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X