uniform question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uniform question

I have been looking at Japanese uniforms for a while now, it seems like most uniforms offered on places like ebay are unissued or in really good condition but are described as originals. Are there that many unissued uniforms floating around? Are they movie used uniforms? Or just reproductions offered as originals. Does anyone know?

Hi Tino

There are a lot of unissued Japanese uniforms around...due in part to the success of the US blockade of Japan during the war. When the US arrived there were warehouses full of equipment that couldn't be shipped off to the front. A lot was re-used by the civilian population, especially things like blankets and coats but an awful lot was just brought home as souviners.
    There are some reproductions being made but to me they don't seem to really compare to originals, they are more expensive than what you can get a nice original for, and they seem to be made for modern "western" bodies.
    Don't let condition scare you off.

Comment

Tino,

Original World War II Japanese uniforms are still available today in Japan. Most of the issued uniforms are no longer equipped with the original insignia though as the uniforms had to be demilitarized after the war. (Finding issued uniforms with originally sewn on insignia are few and far between.) Like Blinky mentioned, reproductions are being made, but one can still find originals examples for about the same price or less than the reproductions.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Hi all,
        Can someone post some photos of original Japanese uniforms? What to look for, difference between early and late war and so on?
        Thanks.
        David Tiffin
        "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

Originally posted by David Tiffin
          Hi all,
          Can someone post some photos of original Japanese uniforms? What to look for, difference between early and late war and so on?
          Thanks.
          David,

I'll try to post some photos of some uniforms that I have on the forum later. I have never owned a reproduction uniform although I have seen a couple over the years. (The only reproductions that I have seen where made by a firm in Japan for the Japanese reenactors market. The uniforms carried the manufacturer's logo and the kanji for copy/facsimile.)

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
            David,

I'll try to post some photos of some uniforms that I have on the forum later. I have never owned a reproduction uniform although I have seen a couple over the years. (The only reproductions that I have seen where made by a firm in Japan for the Japanese reenactors market. The uniforms carried the manufacturer's logo and the kanji for copy/facsimile.)

Eric
            Thanks for your fast input everybody! It just always made me wonder, also because you see these uniforms offered by reputable dealers.
            I think it would be neat to put a Japanese mannequin together, I personaly would like that "been there and done that" look. and might as well buy one while they are still relatively inexpensive.
            Looking forward to seeing some of the uniforms Eric.

Comment

Two good ways to tell if a tunic has been issued/used is to see that the owner has hand inked his name on interior rectangular,rubber stamped area meant for this very purpose. Another clue when dealing with rank/collar insignia is that most time the tabs are sewn on with "invisible", very well done, small stitches. Post war tabs that are added to a tunic are sloppily applied & for some reason they usually use red thread. Most of the ebay tunics are unissued, mint, original SURPLUS tunics that have had original rank tabs added to enhance the value. As Eric said, real issued/worn tunics with original collar tabs are very rare.

Comment

I have an original NCO tunic. You are correct... I cannot see any stitching at all in the collar tabs.

Paul

Comment

I have always thought these were probibly post war added. What do you guys think? The tunic is unissed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
                    I have always thought these were probibly post war added. What do you guys think? The tunic is unissed.
                    Joe,

Nice clear photo! Unfortunately though, I can't see how the insignia is sewn onto the collar. What does the backside of the collar look like anyway?

Eric

Comment

Eric
                      The edge of the tab will not lift up (the green part). Here's the back side.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Joe, can you check to see if there are visible stitches? Would be bad if they were glued on. If stitches are visible then I'd check them with a black light. If the tunic is unissued I'd bet the tabs were added post war.

Comment

Hi Jareth
                          The other tab lifted a little. I don't think it's glued. I think I can see a little thread. I'll get a black light & check the thread.

Comment

David et el,

Here is a photo that a friend sent me of some items in his collection. In the photo are two (2) Army enlisted man's Model 5 summer tunics. One tunic is equipped with (sergeant major) shoulder rank insignia and ("28" infantry) collar branch of service flashes. Note the shoulder rank insignia "loops" on the other Model 5 tunic. The Model 5 uniform featured a high standing collar, two breast pockets, and a service belt support strap on the wearer's left hip.

The Model 5 summer service uniform was made of cotton while the Model 5 winter service uniform was made of wool.

The Model 5 uniform was introduced in 1930 and was superseded by the Model 98 uniform in 1938. Model 5 uniforms are very hard to find.

I will post some photos of the Model 98 (and the Model 3) uniforms at a later date.

Eric
                            Last edited by Eric Doody; 11-03-2004, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo of an Army enlisted man's Model 98 summer service tunic with sergeant collar insignia.

The Model 98 was introduced in 1938 and utilized a fold-down collar (as opposed to the standup collar on the Model 5 tunic) with a single fastening hook (the Model 5 tunic used two fastening hooks); two breast pockets and two lower side pockets (the Model 5 tunic was not equipped with the lower side pockets); service belt support strap; and was typically equipped with Model 98 collar rank insignia (as opposed to Model 5 shoulder rank insignia that was worn on the Model 5 tunic).

The Model 98 summer service tunic was made of cotton while the Model 98 winter service tunic was made of wool.

The Model 98 tunic was later superseded by the Model 3 tunic in 1943.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X