Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade Translation

Hello,

A collecting acquaintance asked for help translating this engraving. I would appreciate any help in this regard - thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

主水正藤原正清もんどのしようまさきよ
    Mondo no Shō Fujiwara Masakiyo

He's listed as "O-wazamono" [excellent] in The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords (p. 38).

--Guy

Comment

Guy, I'll pass that on and thank you very much. I assume "excellent" refers to the maker's reputation in sword manufacturing?

Any date you can make out?

regards, Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
        Guy, I'll pass that on and thank you very much. I assume "excellent" refers to the maker's reputation in sword manufacturing?

Any date you can make out?

regards, Robert
        Robert,

He died in 1730. The English wiki article "List of Wazamono" lists him as Owazamono
        Originally posted by wiki
        The work lists 14 saijō ōwazamono (最上大業物 "supreme sharpness swords"<sup>?</sup>), 20 ōwazamono (大業物 "great sharpness swords"<sup>?</sup>), 50 ryōwazamono (良業物 "good sharp swords"<sup>?</sup>), 80 wazamno (業物 wazamono<sup>?</sup>, "sharp swords"), and 60 (65?) makes with mixed levels of sharpness.
        The source was compiled by Yamada Asaemon V (famous line of sword testers).

There is no English link for his name, but here is what the Japanese link says:

主水正正清

移動: 案内検索
        主水正正清(もんどのしょうまさきよ,寛文10年(1670年) - 享保15年6月6日1730年7月20日))は江戸時代薩摩国刀工。俗名は宮原清右衛門、覚太夫。新刀最上作にして大業物
        丸田正房の門人で、はじめ銘を「吉景」「清盈」と切っていたという。享保6年(1721年)1月、八代将軍徳川吉宗の命により江戸浜御殿において作刀、その出来の良さを認められ葵一葉紋を茎に切ることを許されるとともに、 将軍家の斡旋により7月13日に主水正を受領した。
        作柄としては地鉄は板目肌が良くつんだものや大板目に地景の入るものがあり、刃文は荒い沸のついた互の目乱 れのたれ乱れなどを焼き、「芋の蔓」という長い金筋が混まじるものが多い。弟子に正近・正盛などがおり、正 清の代銘を切っている。

Japanese Wiki
        --Guy

I do not have the energy to translate all of that.

EDIT: Okay, I can't resist just a bit: "... was an Edo Period swordsmith from Satsuma. Real name Miyahara Kiyouemon; Kakudayu [宮原 清右衛門; 覚太夫]
        Last edited by GHP; 12-30-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Thank you for that, guy, and for taking the time out from your holidays to help.

regards, Robert

Comment

Thank you for that, guy, and for taking the time out from your holidays to help.

regards, Robert
            Glad to help. Check my previous post again -- I just translated a tiny bit.

--Guy

Comment

A Bit More ......

"八代将軍徳川吉宗の命により江戸浜御殿において作刀、その出来の良さを認められ葵一葉紋を茎に切ることを許 されるとともに、 将軍家の斡旋により7月13日に主水正を受領した。。"

By command of the 8th Tokugawa Shogun, Tokugawa Yoshimune, at the Edohama Palace he made a sword that was so well-made it was recognized and allowed to engrave the Single-Leaf Aoi Crest. He received the "Mondo no Shou" [主水正] title from the House of the Shogun

image source [Chinese Website ... Selling for 751,000.00 元 ... $123,977.11]

If I'm too far off-base hopefully Taka-san or Nick-san will make corrections.

--Guy
              Last edited by GHP; 12-30-2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Guy, that is no where near what Google translate came up with - thank you for gisting this for me. It sounds like a sword with some neat history.

regards, Robert

Comment

Guy, that is no where near what Google translate came up with - thank you for gisting this for me. It sounds like a sword with some neat history.

regards, Robert
                  Hi Robert!

Google Translate is better with Indo-European languages, but is not a good substitute. And for Japanese! Ha! it is only good if you are familiar with Japanese grammar ... and names!! It's often good for a big laugh! ... And more than often, is a source of consternation.

Now ... with all that said -- your friend's sword can only be evaluated in hand by an expert. And if the blade is shot, then it could be worthless, even if the smith is highly rated.

Cheers,
                  --Guy

Comment

Speaking of grammar .... I looked at that bit I translated and see it could be a bit clearer; I said "a sword he made at the palace" -- actually, it was at the palace that a sword he made was reviewed/recognized? I changed it to:

"...a sword he made was so well-made it was recognized...."

--Guy

Comment

The sword is genuine only if the signature is not a fake. It also appears that someone has cleaned the patina off the nakago, which is a major mistake. If you can repost the entire tang with the point up and the butt down, I will try to give an opinion on it. I do not do well trying to check a signature posted on it's side.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Hi Bob,

I don't have the sword, so am posting two top to bottom tang photos as I can't tell where the tip is.

Guy, I passed your wise words of caution to the fellow considering the purchase, and advise him tom take it to a Japanese sword expert as you suggested.

regards, Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here;s the rest of the sword (parts) - Robert
                          Attached Files

Comment

There are numerous minor variations in the signature from known genuine example. I would consider the blade a gimei or fake signature. The nakago has also been cleaned which is a major problem. It appears that this blade was mounted in tachi mounts. However, everything has really been trashed. I would only buy this sword if it was priced really cheap.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll pass that on. Happy New New!

regards, Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X