No announcement yet.

Japanese Paratrooper Uniform question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my favorite Giretsu Kuutei-tai print from a teenage magazine. 

It's a story, but this is the only source I have.

I like the typical Japanese style drawings.

Title :

義烈空挺隊

Giretsu Kuutei-tai

Black Bloks:

爆薬を抱いて、めざすはB-29 だ !!

(Bakuyaku Wo Daite, Mezasu Wa B-29 Da) - Hugging on to the explosives, aim at the B-29 !!

空の忍者部隊、決死の体当たり奮戦記を読もう !! 

(Sora No Ninjya Butai, Kettshi No Taiatari Funnsenki Wo Yomou !!)

The Sky Ninja Unit, lets read about the story of their brave deadly ramming attacks !!

Far Left Photo (Top):

奥山道郎 陸軍大尉 (Okuyama Michirou Riku-gun Tai-i)

Army Captain Michirou Okuyama

Far Left Photo (Bottom):

出撃前に、のこった部下にわたして敵地へ飛びだった、奥山道朗大尉の遺品.

(Syutsugeki Mae Ni, Nokotta Buka Ni Watash!te Teki-chi he Tobidatta, Okuyama Michirou Tai-i no Ihinn)

Before the attack, Captain Okuyama passed his articles to his subordinates, and took off to the enemy territory.

Regards,
    Taka
    Last edited by J7W22007; 12-05-2013, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Im not a tunic collector but a headgear collector.

I have heard of this guy over the years "cupman" and seen some of the junk he has to offer ...I cant believe he is able to get away with selling fakes time after time.

Another collector has taken it hard in the pocket.

Have a look at this piece of junk...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-JAPANES...item1c39a629d1

Comment

Originally posted by FMS-Paul View Post
        Have a look at this piece of junk...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-JAPANES...item1c39a629d1
        Ouch! That hurt! The kanji is terrible ... and not in proper grammatical conventions (last name, rank).

--Guy

Comment

What really upsets me about him is that he ruins some ordinary but original items trying to make them more valuable by writing on them with his Sharpie. He has no respect for history, just money.

Comment

tears to my eyes

He bids through Rinkya, this is his source of Militaria. It brings tears to my eyes what this crook does by adding characters (with magic marker) and bogus ink stamps to his militaria. He loves to ink stamp anchors and fake dates to is helmets and flags. He ruins his stuff.

Can anybody search past/ended Rinkya auctions looking for that civilian helmet that is now listed on ebay? Do you think this helmet might have passed through Rinkya YJ in its original state before the bogus characters were added?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-JAPANES...1#ht_134wt_922

Comment

Giretsu uniform

Here is my Giretsu jacket, I have the pants also among other items.

Jeff
              Attached Files

Comment

Giretsu photos

A couple of photos.
                Attached Files

Comment

More photos

More photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting Jeff. Curious why added arm pocket was done after camo was applied? Same with other addition on lower front. You'd of thought they be added first prior to camo. Pockets seem to already be in place in period photos. Are those catches from the film or photos?

Comment

More photos

I always wondered about the pockets added after camo applied. Who knows what individuals did. Note they aren't wearing their wrap leggings in the photo and some are wearing full gear and others aren't. Some of the photos are from the film, I have seen four different films of their training and departure. I have over 80 photos of this operation of before and after from various sources.
                      Some added one or two pockets on the front lower portion of their jackets, pockets added to one or both sleeves, pockets for grenades added to equipment straps, most don't have added pockets though. Here is a photo of a pocket added to a satchel bag.
                      In the films do you know the names of the veterans being interviewed?

Jeff
                      Attached Files

Comment

Giretsu added pockets

Jareth,

Just looking through some of my photos, I noticed this one of Capt Okuyama and Capt Suwabe. Note Capt Suwabe's pocket added over the camouflage.
                        What kind of sword did they receive?

Jeff
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice photos, Jeff !

Thank you for sharing.

I would like to ask you a question.

Do you have other close up period photo/film of the uniform?

It is because your tunic buttons have 4 holes, while in the 1st photo are solid brass buttons.

Thank you and regards,
                          Taka
                          Last edited by J7W22007; 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Don't know Jeff. Maybe it's not a sword? Perhaps a short tanto or not a blade at all? Great period photo that clears up the addition of pocket on top of camo. That pocket on haversack/bread bag looks camoed. Few questions, is your tunic named? Is there any evidence of collar tabs on being present? I'm surprised they all have tabs in photos! Maybe tabs are on green tropical shirts worn underneath then collars flipped over? Yet one photo clearly shows tabs directly on collar. I have no idea as to individuals names from mission. I want to know what are those long wood poles they're carrying? Lunge mines? Note rare bandoleers with integral type 94 holsters. Rarest & hardest variation to find! Would think majority of captured gear would be severely messy.

Comment

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time and posting your tunic. I have always wondered about the collar tabs. In Taka's post, it states that "before the attack, Captain Okuyama passed his articles to his subordinates, and took off to the enemy territory." the photo inset shows his rank tabs and Hanko stamp left behind. All the photos I have seen of the attack, none of the KIA Giretsu's have collar tabs on their uniforms so it makes me wonder with Taka's photo that they were removed before the actual operation. Below is my haversack camo'ed like the Giretsu's. I am confident it is period done and may have come from the several aircraft that had mechanical problems and had to returned to Japan. It is dated Show 20 (1945). If you notice the aluminum hook on the tab of the haversack has been removed and maybe due to wearing similar to post #25, to keep from snagging who knows.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Ryukyutunnelrat; 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Haversack open
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X