CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JAPANESE SURRENDER LEAFLETS from VET ESTATE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAPANESE SURRENDER LEAFLETS from VET ESTATE...

Hello forum. I found these in an envelope full of WWII Japanese occupation currency from the Philippines. First of their kind I've come across. The one shown below, (and the largest), has a couple of pictures of Japanese POW's being well treated by their captors along w/ lots of Kanji (however their faces have been obscured with lines to hide their identity). The second leaflet has no photos but has verbiage on both sides, in English and Japanese Kanji. The last, and smallest of the three, is one sided, having only Kanji present. Can't say as I've ever seen these before. I've had, and HAVE some nice WWII US / German and Soviet ones, but these are a first for me. A few pix below, and appreciate your feedback...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton; 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM.

2. This photo (top, w/ red white and blue bands), is the "English" side of the first leaflet shown above when fully opened. It's roughly the width of a regular sheet of typewriter paper. The second shot is the front of the smaller, second leaflet, showing both the Kanji and English below...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton; 11-26-2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

3. This is the third, and smallest leaflet, and has only Japanese kanji on one side...
      Attached Files

Comment

So, safe to assume that no one else has come across these types of leaflets before, either?...

Comment

I have to admit I'm surprised that these haven't garnered any responses…leaves me to assume that they must indeed be seldom, if ever seen amongst the collectors here. I know they're the first I'VE ever seen. Suffice to say they'll be carefully preserved.

Comment

I thought I'd resurrect this thread, as it would be nice if SOMEone could provide some feedback on these leaflets, if anyone has actually come across them before. I just came across them again yesterday while going through some "stuff"....Any one??

Comment

I have seen variations of the bilingual one sided version, but the top one in particular is new to me. It is interesting to see how much these can go for on online auction sites. It looks like there are a few collectors out there who focus on mainly surrender leaflets --plenty of variation to be had.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I'd literally forgotten I had them til I "re-discoverd" them yesterday! Appreciate your comments.

Comment

I have one with the red/blue bands; I found it at a vet's estate auction about 15 years ago.

Comment

Nice. Is it just like the one I posted or different?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X