Japanese rifle sight help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese rifle sight help needed

I picked up a Japanese rifle a little while ago, but have a couple of questions. I am missing the spring that keeps the sight flat or standing up. Right now, it just flops. How does a person install that spring, and where could I get one? My other question is I have another sight that has the wings on it. How could I take the old sight off and put this other one on when I install the new spring. I can't see how to take the sights off. Is there a place that might show that? Any help or hints would be most appreciated.
    Dave
    Attached Files

pics 1
    Attached Files

Comment

last pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

The spare sight is only for a type 99. It will not be correct for your type 38 rifle sight. The type 38 used only a slide without aircraft flip down wings

Comment

Far be it for me to give gunsmithing advice but I will try to help...the "spring" that is missing is actually a piece of metal who's end screws into that hole at the front of the rear sight and then lays in the grove. I would think that the sight itself would be installed by getting a punch and knocking out the pin at the hinge. Like Jared said you need to find the correct rear sight for this rifle. There are lots of Arisaka parts on Ebay and you might also try Numrich Gun Parts:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...711.htm?page=2

Good luck.

Comment

Here's the part you need and the screw that holds it in. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you need to remove the sight to install this. So don't mess with it until you have the part and have checked if it will go on without removing the sight.
            Attached Files

Comment

Didn't upload on the first try
              Attached Files

Comment

But this rifle is a type 99, so wouldn't it be a correct sight?
                Dave

Comment

OK, I see what I need. Thanks Papa Nambu.
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bruv View Post
                    But this rifle is a type 99, so wouldn't it be a correct sight?
                    Dave
                    The "winged" sight is for a Type 99, although they left the AA wings off later in the war so not all T99s have them. My photos are of my Type 38, but the flat spring is like the one you need for a Type 99.

Comment

You DO have a Type 99 sight on the rifle, it's just missing the slider and the little screw that was supposed to keep it on. You can remove the little screw and slide from your replacement and just slide them on there.

Comment

Great. Thanks again.
                        Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X