MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding Kamikaze? Late war pilots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding Kamikaze? Late war pilots?

Hello all, I have a few photos of late war navy pilots that, instead of having a rank shield insignia on their arm of the their flight suit, they have a Japanese hinomaru flag patch. Can anyone tell me what these patches means? Were these flag patches only worn by Kamikaze, or is a late war navy pilot thing? Any information on these patches is helpful thank you!!

Matthew

Hi Matthew-San,

They are not necessary Kamikaze pilots.

Both army and navy pilots started to worn them during fall of 1944. They were defending their homeland from incoming heavy bombers and carrier aircraft.

When some Japanese pilots got shot down and parachuted to the ground, the farmers, and some other civilian thought they were enemy pilots and killed them on the spot. So to indicate the friendly pilots, they have to wear the Hinomaru patch.

Some of these Mainland defense pilots were eventually flew the suicide missions.

Regards,
    Taka

Comment

Matthew,

Taka is correct. Same reason that many Luftwaffe pilots wore "Deutsche Luftwaffe" armbands during the final months of the war.

Mike

Comment

Taka-San is correct . The wearing of sleeve flags became regulation for Japanese home defense pilots in late 1944.

Comment

Here is a photo of famous IJN ace 岩本徹三 - Tetsuzō Iwamoto wearing a Hinomaru arm patch, during 1945.

Regards,
          Taka

Comment

Photo of an unknown IJN pilot.

Photo of a famous IJA pilot 小林照彦 Captain Teruhiko Kobayashi. (Notice double Hinomaru patches!)

Regards,
            Taka

Comment

Thank you Taka and everyone! I'll post some of the photos I have soon with the patches.

Comment

Here are mine:

Comment

Outstanding Pictures, Thanks for sharing

PG-

Comment

WOW ! Beyond words !

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers!
                    Taka

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X