New Japanese items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Japanese items

I just got some of my first Japanese items and would like to share them and ask for some translation help and perhaps to their value.

First up is a cloth sack about the size of my hand with some script printed on it. I suspect that this might be a tobacco pouch but I don't know.

Second, two printed post cards. The first of the two shows a combat scene with a machine gun emplacement, either an NCO or Officer holding a sword and a torn USA flag in the foreground. The second of the two shows a formation of Japanese bombers. Both have script writing on the right side of the card. Both are unused an show a place for writing and a stamp.

These came with a silk Rising Sun flag that had been framed. The flag was in extremely fragile condition and I have since had it reframed with an acid-free backing and mat.

Well, that's it for now, I would appreciate anyone's attempt to translate any of the thing you see here. I hope to expand this collection soon and add a nice combat helmet and sword.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by herrgeezer; 10-19-2013, 05:18 PM.

The other items.
    Attached Files

Comment

Back of the postcards - both are the same.
      Attached Files

Comment

The first postcard says 撃滅 gekimetsu (destruction, annihilation, extermination).

The second post card says, バタン上空における小川部隊の記録 (Record of the Ogawa Battle Group flying over Bataan).

--Guy
        Last edited by GHP; 10-19-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much, Guy. Any idea of what the writing on the bag means?

Comment

The top postcard is one of my favorites! I believe that one too came out in commemoration of the conquest of the Philippines, therefore the wadded up, discarded American flag in the foreground. I love how propaganda from every nation seemed to follow the same basic formula....the troops surging ahead under fire with the discarded enemy (American, German, Soviet, British, etc.) flag in the foreground or the "state of the art bombers" streaming towards an enemy to deliver that final crushing blow!

I have the same identical postcards along with a few others which I think were part of a series intended for soldiers to mail home. Mine I know did come from the Philippines in 1945.

Neat items! Small enough to display and have a great visual impact!

Comment

Originally posted by herrgeezer View Post
              Thank you very much, Guy. Any idea of what the writing on the bag means?
              David, that bag once was quite valuable. For its contents.

一朱銀
              正味
              二百五十匁

Isshu-gin
              Shoumi
              Nihaku Goju monme

Silver coin
              Net weight
              250 monme

Monme is an old-style weighing system. From what I read on wiki, 1 monme = 3.78 grams. So the bag held approximately 945 grams of silver = 33.3339 0z = 2.08 lbs.

一朱銀

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
                The top postcard is one of my favorites! I believe that one too came out in commemoration of the conquest of the Philippines, therefore the wadded up, discarded American flag in the foreground. I love how propaganda from every nation seemed to follow the same basic formula....the troops surging ahead under fire with the discarded enemy (American, German, Soviet, British, etc.) flag in the foreground or the "state of the art bombers" streaming towards an enemy to deliver that final crushing blow!

I have the same identical postcards along with a few others which I think were part of a series intended for soldiers to mail home. Mine I know did come from the Philippines in 1945.

Neat items! Small enough to display and have a great visual impact!
                Thanks Blinky. These came from the Philippines as well. They were in a frame with a flag. Any idea about the small bag and it's use?

Comment

Originally posted by herrgeezer View Post

...Any idea about the small bag and it's use?
                  See my message above. (post #7)

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                    See my message above. (post #7)

--Guy
                    Thanks Guy!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X