No announcement yet.

Japanese Army Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutmeg: Interesting point. Now that I think about it, it does look like palm leaves rather than bamboo. This does make sense, considering that Japanese soldiers were known to climb on top of palm trees and shoot at US forces.

Chris: Thank you for your comments. As to the US vet trimming the palm leaves, I am not sure if he actually did that, although I kind of doubt it. It seems more plausible to me that the US vet simply grabbed the helmet and stuffed it in his bag and eventually sent it home with his other "loot".
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Fabulous helmets guys!!!
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

One-of-a-kind helmet
        congrat Walter
        If one day you want a new homme for this one...
        phil

Comment

Thank you, Dave and Phil.

Is anyone able to identify the Kanji characters on the liner?
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB
            Thank you, Dave and Phil.

Is anyone able to identify the Kanji characters on the liner?
            WalterB,

Thanks for posting the photos of your two Army Model 90 helmets.

The kanji on the liner pad of the Army Model 90 helmet with net and foliage is more than likely the last name of the soldier that the helmet was issued to. I can make out what appears to be the kanji "sa," which is the kanji on the left, but the other kanji on the right is too faint for me to make out. ("Sa" would be the first part of the last name while the second kanji, which I can't make out, would be the second part of the last name.)

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Is it possible to do a research on a Japanese soldier's name found in a helmet? Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
                WalterB,

Thanks for posting the photos of your two Army Model 90 helmets.

The kanji on the liner pad of the Army Model 90 helmet with net and foliage is more than likely the last name of the soldier that the helmet was issued to. I can make out what appears to be the kanji "sa," which is the kanji on the left, but the other kanji on the right is too faint for me to make out. ("Sa" would be the first part of the last name while the second kanji, which I can't make out, would be the second part of the last name.)

Hope this helps.

Eric
                Eric, thank you for your help! I will try to see if I can figure out the details of the second kanji character. Thanks.

Oh, the second helmet pictured is not mine, it is nutmeg's.
                When you go home
                Tell them for us and say
                For your tomorrow
                We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Two incredible helmets you guys have got there.

JL

Comment

By the way, I think bamboo leaves are very brittle compared to palm leaves; Which would indicate these are palm leaves.

JL

Comment

Eric, thank you for your help! I will try to see if I can figure out the details of the second kanji character. Thanks.

Oh, the second helmet pictured is not mine, it is nutmeg's.
                      WalterB,

Roger that!

I stand corrected, those are nice helmets that you and nutmeg posted photos of...thanks!

I have a Navy Model 90 helmet & net with palm leaves that I will take some photos of and post when time permits.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
                        Is it possible to do a research on a Japanese soldier's name found in a helmet? Joe
                        Joe,

I am not aware of how a Japanese surname can be researched.

Eric

Comment

It's probibly impossible to do & I've never heard of anyone doing it. But it sure would be great to know aliitle about "Kameo Takahashi". Joe

Comment

Here is a photo of the Navy Model 90 helmet that I have with net and palm leaves...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
                              Here is a photo of the Navy Model 90 helmet that I have with net and palm leaves...
                              Wow, that is a nice one! Navy to boot! Any story/provenance behind it? I like it, thank you for posting it
                              When you go home
                              Tell them for us and say
                              For your tomorrow
                              We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Wow, that is a nice one! Navy to boot! Any story/provenance behind it? I like it, thank you for posting it
                                WalterB,

Unfortunately there is no story and/or provenance with the Navy helmet. I've known of the helmet for the past 12 or so years and was finally able to pick it up for my collection. Glad you liked the photo.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X