X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2LT Takesaburo Funaya [later CPT]

船谷 武三郎
    Funaya Takesaburo

Here are some images of my wife's late father I thought I'd share. I wish I had obtained more data before he died. This is what I know:

1. Born in 1920, he graduated Waseda University then went directly to follow-up "graduate" courses in Yokohama.

2. Graduated Yokohama School of Commerce/Yokohama City Economics College [similar to MBA] ca. 1940

3. Joined the army sometime around 1940. His elder brother would retire in 1945 as a lieutenant colonel with pension; he retired as a captain and received only the set of lacquered sake cups [boy! was he angry about that -- he missed a pension by 3 months].

4. Attended Officer's Academy in Sendai [reserve officers?].

5. Attended the Army Toyama Academy before shipping out.

6. Served in China, the South Pacific, Aleutian Campaign [Attu & Kiska]; then to Sakhalin Island.

7. Soul survivor of a ship capsizing in the northern waters.

I think this image is either at artillery school or in China. After academy were graduates automatically an officer, or did they hold "officer candidate" status? That would explain his uniform.

--Guy
    Last edited by GHP; 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM.

What would the numbers 12332 on his chest mean?

--Guy

Comment

Officer of the Day

I like this image because it is in front of the fencing training hall.

剣術 [道場]
      今週、空室

The large letters say "Swordsmanship... [Training Hall]"; the small sign says "This week, Room Empty". Okay .... wait..... that's not
      anyway, I guess it's something like Room, Hall, etc..... (Nick.....???? help )

The numeral on the collar tabs is "17" .... can someone explain that to me, please?

--Guy
      Last edited by GHP; 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Battalion Officers & NCOs

2LT Funaya is first row, far right. Looks like they're sitting in precedence!

--Guy

Comment

South Pacific?

I think this was taken in the South Pacific, but don't know for sure. My father-in-law took the photo, so he's not in it.

--Guy

Comment

What do these cuff-stars mean on this 1st Lieutenant?

--Guy

Comment

Last Photo

An unnamed friend. My F-i-L loved riding horses; I guess he got into the habit thanks to the IJA.

Fuji Training Area ... or whatever it was called then. In the original photo you can clearly see Fujisan in the background.

Any insights or thoughts on the above photos is greatly appreciated.

--Guy

Comment

ca. 2005, age 85; 5 years before he died. He just finished a 3 mile hike!!

Thanks for letting me get personal!

--Guy

Comment

Outstanding!

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

Great photo presentation! Interesting story. Thanks for posting!

Comment

I agree with the above, very interesting and thanks for posting!
                      Is there any unit information concerning your father-in-law? I would initially
                      think that the 17 on his uniform would be for the 17th infantry regiment.

As to the rank of an individual graduating from the academy, I believe they served as cadets (見習士官) for four months within their regiment
                      before being promoted to 2nd. Lt.

Tom
                      Last edited by GeorgeP; 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM.

Comment

My thanks to everyone. Unfortunately, no one was interested in his military history and many things were placed with him when he was cremated or thrown out.

The only thing I know for certain is that he was an artillery officer. He was a few months from dying when I visited him in the hospital; I asked him about the Aleutian campaign and he said "Attu to Kiska wa sugoku taihende****a" -- [Attu and Kiska were extremely difficult].

My wife saw his fencing certificate from the Dai Nippon Butokukai, but we couldn't find it amongst all the papers ... Oh! that's right, there were some diaries, but I don't know if they were war-time or not. Everything left went to the son who has absolutely NO interest in his father's war history.

Many thanks,
                        --Guy
                        Last edited by GHP; 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Great story and photos Guy! Thanks for posting them.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Very interesting story.

Comment

Found my Father-in-Law's notes on photocopies I sent him. I have a hard time reading his writing.

1941. With the 2nd division Akita 17th Battalion .... [something]

Standing Left - Right
                              1. 2LT Ito (deployed to New Guinea)
                              2. 2LT Ishida (deployed to New Guinea)
                              3. 2LT Fujimori (he and I were deployed to Kita Chitou, Shyumushu-tou)
                              4. Colonel Ikeda (soon after, promoted to major general)
                              占守島(しゅむしゅとう) Shumushu Island is the last island in the Kurile chain; just 11 Km from the southern tip of Kamchatka Island.

Last edited by GHP; 08-06-2013, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X