Japanese Flag opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Flag opinion

Can anyone tell me if this Japanese flag was made pre 45? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Del
    Attached Files

Japanese Flag Opinion

Pic 3
    Attached Files

Comment

looks good to me, it´s original wartime

Alex

Comment

It does appear to be a WWII period Navy flag. I don't see any issues that cause concern.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

Japanese Flag opinion

Thanks for your replies. The reason why I wasn't sure is because they still have these flags in use today and wasn't sure how to tell if one was pre 45. I am guessing by the fabric or the stitching. I know I have seen some known originals that had silk tie strings.

Thanks, Del

Comment

... they still have these flags in use today ...
            I served in Japan from 1990-1994 whilst assigned to the 17th Area Support Group at Camp Zama. As the Director of Security, Plans & Operations (Group S3) I had the task of inspecting the depot facility at Kure; and, on my first inspection, I had the opportunity to see 4 Japanese subs docked where the Yamato was built, just a stone's throw from our depot's Pier Six HQ. I was surprised to see this flag flying from each sub's fantail! I had no idea the Navy (Maritime Defense Force) still used this flag. They wouldn't allow me to take any photos!!!

The subs were diesel powered and really cramped on the inside (since I was in uniform, they invited me aboard one).

--Guy

Comment

Hi Del,

You and Guy are correct, the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, or JMSDF does still use this pattern flag. I've seen a few large ones. They are very striking with vibrant colors. They catch your eye from a long way off.

Having said that I still think yours is WWII period due to the color, condition and manufacture. Modern ones I've seen are made from a thick synthetic material that appears impervious to weather and they have grommets in the corners rather than ties. Maybe other still have ties but if so I am not aware of it.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                Hi Del,

Modern ones I've seen are made from a thick synthetic material that appears impervious to weather and they have grommets in the corners rather than ties. Maybe other still have ties but if so I am not aware of it.
                A lot of post-war rising sun flags are just souvenirs or made for people that just want a rising sun flag (popular with Japanese bikers for example). When I was stationed in Okinawa you could buy them about as easily as you might buy a stars & bars flag in the USA. These may have grommets or ties, they are usually made from modern synthetic materials now days, but from the late 40s until at least the 80s (when I was first there) they were available in cotton/linen, so those are the ones to be aware of. They are almost always the offset Navy type since those look cooler.

This particular flag looks fine to me. The construction and materials look like other wartime/pre-war flags I've seen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X