Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To Japanese Collecting Tips?

Hi all,

I have decided to concentrate one of my interests to Japanese WWII militaria. I have a few quick questions I hope can be answered.

What are the best reference books available to study Japanese militaria?

What are the best ways to determine fakes? (ex: Katanas, caps, uniforms)

What are good dealer sites for Japanese militaria?

When it comes to Japanese guns what are good reference books and has anyone here had experience shooting them?

Thank you for any help!

Regards,
    Fred

I recommend at least becoming familiar with Japanese writing. With just a little studying you can learn Japanese numbers and in no time you'll be able to read dates on items. Learn a few basic kanji and you can read the size markings on your helmet. A little more and you can spot common slogans on flags. Learn too much and everyone will be asking you to translate stuff.

Don't assume everything old looking with Asian writing on it is Japanese WW2. People come here all the time with things like Chinese medals, an award from a Japanese fertilizer company, a flag from a delivery truck from the Hong Kong airport, etc.

Nakata's book isn't too expensive and is a good basic guide to the types of items you may find most commonly. It's all in Japanese but it's mostly photos.

There are some excellent specialized books on Japanese rifles, pistols, bayonets, flags & of course, swords. These can be expensive, but you don't have to buy them all at once, just get the ones that appeal to you as you want them.

I do enjoy shooting my Japanese rifles (I like my Japanese pistols, but they aren't all that fun on the shooting range). Don't try firing live ammo in training rifles, and maybe just leave the late war guns at home as collectables only. Use the proper ammo and all should go well.

Reading this board is actually a good way to develop an eye to spot fakes. Until you are comfortable doing so, don't be afraid to ask more experienced collectors for their advice.

Comment

Hi Fred,

Originally posted by panzer224 View Post
      Hi all,

I have decided to concentrate one of my interests to Japanese WWII militaria.
      To bad...there are enough of us after the good stuff now.

I have a few quick questions I hope can be answered.
      Nope, the more ignorant you stay the better it is for me.

What are the best reference books available to study Japanese militaria?
      In all seriousness, it depends upon what kind. If, for example, it's gunto then Dawson's updated book by far.

What are the best ways to determine fakes? (ex: Katanas, caps, uniforms)
      Same as with TR. Study what you can and read the back threads here. Then post and ask questions.

What are good dealer sites for Japanese militaria?
      The Japanese sub forum Mod is a safe dealer. I've purchased from him and been quite satsfied...although he can be a bit slow in answering PMs with regards to dog tags...nudge, nudge, if you happen to read this Dan. Here's a link to his site...
      http://griffinmilitaria.com/

and WAF member Doug Austin is another good guy...
      http://www.guntoartswords.com/

When it comes to Japanese guns what are good reference books and has anyone here had experience shooting them?
      Have no idea on this one...I live in the Great White North where gun ownership is ranked right along there with horse thievery and moonshine production...or maybe even higher.

Thank you for any help!
      No worries. Let us know more about your planned focus and I'm sure you will get lots of help. We Japanese militaria collectors are a small and connected community.

Regards,
      Fred
      Regards,
      Stu

Comment

I echo what others have already said with an addition or two: Forums (especially this one!) are great places to learn from others, and I would encourage going to several different forums to learn about particular areas of collecting Japanese militaria. For example, if you are interested in learning about Japanese rifles and pistols, I would recommend going over to Gunboards. For good information on helmets, Walhalla.se is a nice site. For Japanese Order of Battle info. and unit questions that might tie in to your militaria collecting, you can't beat Axis History Forum. Not to say that you wouldn't get your questions answered in other places, it is just that people who focus on particular areas of collecting (like rifles) may hang out more in a particular forum and so you get a wider audience with that same interest being able to help you out. Also, there are a lot of great books out there to pick up, not to mention the Banzai newsletter. Good luck!

Tom

Comment

I did that too. Lean on the members of this forum. No cut throat (so far) from Japanese collectors. Have fun.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the advice so far it really helps! Currently I am looking at buying these two canteens off of the estand:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=622959

I believe them to be original but my question is why is there a difference in the canteen caps? Were navy ones different or some reason or is this a post war edit?

Regards,
            Fred S.

Comment

Like any other area of military collectibles, you need to get familiar with the fakes. Nakata produced a whole line of them back in the 80's. There were also warehouse finds of mint unissued items around the same time. So it can be a minefield until you get the feel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by panzer224 View Post
                Hi all,

Thanks for all of the advice so far it really helps! Currently I am looking at buying these two canteens off of the estand:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=622959

I believe them to be original but my question is why is there a difference in the canteen caps? Were navy ones different or some reason or is this a post war edit?

Regards,
                Fred S.
                Those are your standard Navy (with the cap) and Army (brown) canteens. The Army and Navy often went their own ways with gear rather than cooperate. Army and Navy gas masks are different too, for example. Navy gear is usually rarer than the Army gear. Those prices are reasonable.

Comment

You can also visit www.military-antiques-stockholm.com they have recently started with Japanese militaria. And have one update each month.

Well worth a visit!

Comment

Gents,
                    Recently, I’m addicted to Japanese war- and commemorative medals.
                    I’m always wondering about the near mint Japanese items, which are (ir-)regular offered. Compare to 3. Reich items, Japanese collecting market looks like a gold mine for any spoiled collectors.
                    I heard several stories (“not much chances to wear any medals”, “hold for memorial reasons back at families”, etc.), which are hardly to believe for me. Which soldier was not proud enough to show his/her awards..? Anyhow, the idea about “unissued items” at warehouse finds came across to me as well like possible fakes.
                    I’m looking for good sources (beside any forum) as well. I organised a copy of the Peterson book, which was ok for a start, even it has only black and white photos. My “benefit” is my Japanese language skills, so I am looking for any good Japanese sources.

@ Don: Do you have further information about any warehouse founds and the production of Nakata? Is it the guy, who offered Golden Kites for a “bargain”?
                    Originally posted by checkit View Post
                    Like any other area of military collectibles, you need to get familiar with the fakes. Nakata produced a whole line of them back in the 80's. There were also warehouse finds of mint unissued items around the same time. So it can be a minefield until you get the feel for it.
                    BR, Chris

Comment

Hello Chris - Maybe someone can come up with an old photo of a dealer's table and post it. I was not paying a lot of attention, as my focus at that time was strictly Samurai era Japanese swords.

I do remember that rolls of unissued insignia turned up in piles, plus unissued uniforms, flight suits and such. And of course, the tank crew helmets and paratrooper helmets, still in the wooden crates. The only badges I recall were proficiency badges that were very well made, and would have crossed cannons or crossed rifles and such on them.

Nakata was turning out helmet covers, and soft caps of every variation. I remember that some had the word "Nakata" stamped inside along with the correct Kanji stampings. I don't know what all else he made. Nakata was one of the first "have a bunch of fakes made up in China" entrepreneurs.

BTW - some items in his book are fakes he had made up, and some of the uniforms are put together fantasy stuff that he concocted.

I don't recall any repro medals. The quality of an original was pretty hard to duplicate - vaulted, die struck, complex fastening system, frosted finish, raised lettering, etc. The concept of "late war" badges of lesser quality did not exist then, as there were no lesser quality badges to explain. Now I see this "late war" stuff everywhere. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Comment

Here’s an earlier post on excellent reference books:
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=books

Nakata’s IJA reproductions: http://www.nakatashoten.com/contents-japanriku01.html, IJN reproduction: http://www.nakatashoten.com/contents-japankai01.html

Hope this helps some...

Comment

Hi Don,
                          Thanks for your comment.
                          Photos of dealer’s table would be tremendous…
                          So talking about any repro seems like the same situation with (e.g.) 3. Reich items. Difficult to fake, but qualities of any faked items are rising.
                          At the end, there is always the same way of procedure: never buy any story, read as much as possible and check with references…
                          BR, Chris

@RodneyO,
                          Thx for the links!

Comment

Its to bad you do not live in Canada,I have a nice Japanese knee mortar that I might be talk into selling.Any ways good luck with your collecting.

Comment

Might be helpful in the office for any annoying customers /boss

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X