Sword opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword opinions please

A friend of mine has just inherited this sword and would like to know more about it. I'm not a sword guy, so I'd appreciate opinions from the experts on the forum.

Poz
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

It appears to me to be a standard Type 98 IJA Officer Shin-gunto with modified tsuka. See link...

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_021.htm

Here is what the tsuka (handle) should look like.

Regards,
        Stu
        Photo credit...used with permission of Moses Becerra.
        Attached Files

Comment

You can find more info here...

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/military.htm

Until the handle is take off you won't be able to fully assess the sword as the tang tells much to an evaluator. The pin holding the handle onto the tang is usually tapered so tap the small end to drive it out and see if there is any kanji chiseled into the metal. If so, photograph it upright in the manner of the attached examples, and post a clear image so we can assist you with the translation.

Regards,
          Stu
          Attached Files

Comment

We've taken the handle off and the tang is signed, although its very difficult to make out the characters. We've tried rubbing talc in there, but it still isn't coming up clearly. Any other suggestions how we can decipher the signature?

Comment

Unless you can show it to someone who reads kanji a photo will be required.

Keep in mind that some members here may be able to decipher the kanji even though they may not seem all that clear to you. It's because they can make educated guesses based upon what they have seen before. Post your best, glare free shot and we'll go from there.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Nice original shin gunto sword you can find a nice complete Tsuka on Ebay,,,,,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X