unusual sword question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unusual sword question

I took a look at a late war nco sword with wood carved wood grips black hardware today , ive owned 2 in the past but never looked at one like this , it was the same but the tsuba had two half crecsent moon shapes in the tsuba and there was a bit more grinding on the scabbard and hardware then ive seen before , the fellow had capture papers with it , i did not have me camera with me but i will get back to him tomorrow , so my question is i thought i recall seeing one of these on the forum here a couple of years ago but cannot find the thread , it may be a rare varient of the late war ... does my description ring any bells ???

Hi John,

Might you be referring to something along the line of those at the bottom of this page...

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_070.htm

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

As to the tsuba...it may have been a replacement civilian version? Just a guess.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Sword

IVE NEER SEEN A REPO OF THIS TYPE , BUT IT MAY BE RARE OR MAY BE FAKE , I AM GOING TO GET A PHOTO OF IT TODAY AND POST IT UP HERE . I APPRECIATE THE HELP SO FAR ON IT GUYS .

Comment

Pics 1

Here are pics of the sword , of course late war but ive never owned one like this but i recall seeing the tsuba style like it .
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Matching #s
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

Thank you for the extra pics. A late war NCO for sure. Those crescent shapes in the tsuba are not anything I've seen before. I wonder if they might have been mis-strikes for where the scabbard lock latch was to go through the tsuba? I can't tell from the photos but if you can rule that in or out we can proceed from there.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

That looks like it was done with purpose. But never seen that before.

Comment

I agree, they don't appear to be random shapes and are probably not associated to the latch but it was all I could think of at the time. I wonder if a crescent moon shape has some significance in sword history or possibly one of the religions of the day?

Regards,
                    Stu

Comment

It has been taken apart ,but the "menuki" screws are mounted opposite. Look at the markings on the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                        It has been taken apart ,but the "menuki" screws are mounted opposite. Look at the markings on the wood.
                        Yes, I noticed that. Maybe it was simply to replace a broken tsuba?

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

Someone has blunt the edge

Comment

blade

Thanks for the input guys , the edge is really not as bas as the small area that you are looking at , most of the edge is perfectly fine , the screws appear to be in the standard place that most of these swords seem to have the mounts in the order shown , i do agree that it looks like that one was removed or messed with .Also ive not seen these with black scabbard , and this sword shows little use and wear . it does have bring back papers with it as well . i have a thought that you mentioned about the crecent moon being significant to some thought of belief by the soldier and in my opinion was added by the soldier as a personal piece maybe i am wrong but if we agree it is not a post war rig then i must draw a guessing conclusion .
                            Attached Files

Comment

paperwork

paperwork .
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X