Japanese sword help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese sword help please...

Hello folks. Fresh from an estate call this past weekend, I have an interesting, old, (I believe), Japanese Katana. This one has a dragon etched on one side of the blade, just before the tsuba, and additionally, a small circular etch further down the blade above the temper line. On the other side of the blade, a narrow fuller extends 8 1/4 inches upwards from the base of the blade. The sword measures 39 1/2 inches overall, with a 28 inch blade (tip to base), and appears to be totally un-signed. There is only one hole through the tang. The blade is 1 5/16 inches wide, with a gradually tapering point and still retains a very sharp edge, and a relatively clear temper line. The tsuba appears to be iron w/ gilt embellishments, depicting a bird as well as a few other small designs. The hande wrap is long gone, however the wooden base and sharkskin panels are intact and in good shape, as is the small metal pommel piece. The scabbard is lacquer covered wood in concentric black and green bands, with a metal drag which also has some design work and gilt embellishments. I'm hoping some of you Japanese sword experts can enlighten me as to what kind of sword I have here, and a rough estimate of its approximate age, etc. More than a dozen pix below, and thanks in advance for any help!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The horimono looks very poorly made.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. In reality, it's got quite nice detail, it's just the poor quality of my photo. In hand, the details are quite good. Can you add anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
                      Thanks for your comments. In reality, it's got quite nice detail, it's just the poor quality of my photo. In hand, the details are quite good. Can you add anything else?
                      It looks like a kid made it .

Comment

Here's a hopefully better pic of the front part of the dragon etch. There's also texture to his skin, etc that's more evident in person than in the photograph.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. That's EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for....

Comment

looks shin shinto
                            horimono added long after by a not very skilled hand
                            nice package though
                            is it for sale?
                            nick

Comment

From the form of the blade and the point, the blade appears to be 19th century Late Edo period. A decent samurai sword. I concur that the dragon or ryu horimono lacks the depth and detail of the work of a good carver. It is quite poor quality and detracts from what appears to be a decent sword.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X