demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with kanji on NLF (?) Canteen please . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with kanji on NLF (?) Canteen please . . .

Hello:

I've been wanting an Army canteen with kanji for some time but I couldn't resist this one! I know it's an IJN type canteen but is it NLF?

Will someone please interpret the kanji for me?

This is my first Japanese items field gear item and I hope to get more.

Domo ari gato!

oooops . . . forgot something . . . photos would help I suppose!

I've seen another IJN canteen on here with 3 kanji characters in white in the same pattern as on this canteen that identified it to an NLF unit. I'm hoping for the same!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mauser HSc; 07-29-2012, 05:18 PM. Reason: to make more sense!

Comment

Here's the link to the other canteen I'm talking about. actually. It's on e-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...c#ht_741wt_936

Comment

Originally posted by Mauser HSc View Post
        Here's the link to the other canteen I'm talking about. actually. It's on e-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...c#ht_741wt_936
        Looks like he bottom character means "seventh man" according to this listing. The one above it is a 9th regiment.
        Last edited by Mauser HSc; 07-29-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Three Kanji (from top to bottom):
          1.Tiger
          2.Ninty-
          3.Seven

Comment

For translation of item 2 below, whether it is Ninty or nine depends on whether it will relate to Seven or not.

Comment

Thank you for the translation! That Tiger really had me stumped!

Comment

Unlike in the army, where canteens were issued to individuals, the navy had these as items held by units that would be rented out according to operation needs and returned to stock later. That is why they normally have abbreviated unit makings rather than names of owners. Tiger may have been for the Navy 261 Flight unit. The one on Ebay would be from some unit at the Sasebo base.

Comment

I've tried to find information on this unit. All I can find is as follows:

"The 1st Air Fleet had a very low state of training. Among the Zero units 261 Ku was ahead of the others. In February 1944 they started to deploy to the Marianas. This was about five months earlier than originally planned. The invasion of the Marshalls had upset the Japanese time table. On 23-24 February when there were very few Zeros based in the Marianas an American carrier raid destroyed 94 aircraft. The Zero units 261 and 263Ku as well as some bomber units were sent to reinforce the 26th Air Flotilla on Palau on March 31st and lost heavily to carrier raids in progress there."

The 261st may have been a fighter unit!

The canteen's excellent condition could be attributed to light use with an air unit rather than heavy use by an NLF infantry unit. Makes sense!

Comment

261 was a fighter wing. After operating out of Guam and Saipan, they disbanded in July 1944 and got absorbed into the 201.

Comment

I'm pleased to learn that the canteen can be traced to an IJNAF fighter wing. Thank you for your assistance!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X