SandeBoetik

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Flag Translation Needed Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Flag Translation Needed Please!!

Hey guys,
    I just picked up this flag in a trade. I was just wondering if it is original and what it says. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

It says a lot. But most of it is just signatures of well-wishers. The 4 kanji around the sun disk are the common "Eternal good fortune in battle" slogan. There's another slogan in the large kanji at the top but it's written in a fast style that is beyond my skill level to read. The owner's name is going down the left side, but I can't read it for the same reason. Might be 川田 Kawata 當眞 Touma
    Last edited by Papa Nambu; 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much Papa! Would you be fairly confident that it is original an not a GI or post war repro? That's more my concern than anything.

Comment

It is seldom that I see an original flag with kanji where the tabbed corners are on the left side. Are there many like this or are we looking at the back? This is something I'd like to know if one of you members fluent in Japanese can help me with it. Thanks.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

Translation:
          1.Swallow-up(the)
          2.enemy
          3.sure
          4.win( from the outline this is my best bet)

This flag is posted correctly and not looking at the back.
          No idea is it original or not.
          Attached Files

Comment

There isn't anything written that is worth mentioning, but it looks legit.

Comment

Thank you very much guys! Great info and I appreciate it!!

Comment

chen,

Thank you for your clarifying comment regarding my question.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

In regards to Stu 's comment; I have not seen many original flags with the tabs on the left either. They certainly exsist, but why so few original examples? any speculation?

PG-
                  Last edited by Paul G; 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                    I regards to Stu 's comment; I have not seen many original flags with the tabs on the left either. They certainly exsist, but why so few original examples? any speculation?

PG-
                    Hi Paul,

My thought is that because the writing is done and read from right to left that's the side (tabbed) they placed to the right. One would naturally start at the hoist side and work out toward the fly.

But you are correct in that some are the other way round. Maybe the kanji on them was started by someone who wasn't aware how a flag was flown?

Anyone have an answer?

Regards,
                    Stu

Comment

The American flag, for instance, makes it obvious at a glance, which was the staff side, but the Japanese flag can be flown anyway one likes and it will still look the same, being totally symmetric.
                      As a result of being an idiot-proof design, a normal Japanese would not have an intuitive sense of direction for his own flag.

Comment

Thanks Nick. That makes sense.

As always your contributions are appreciated.

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X