Japanese Naval Officers Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Naval Officers Dagger

Hello I have found a japanese officers dagger what I am trying to figure out is it has two odd cloth haggers on it ,does anyone know what this would symbolize. Also what would be an average going price for one with haggers like this, any help would be great thanks Sean F

Originally posted by gel65 View Post
    Hello I have found a japanese officers dagger what I am trying to figure out is it has two odd cloth haggers on it ,does anyone know what this would symbolize. Also what would be an average going price for one with haggers like this, any help would be great thanks Sean F
    Hi Sean,

Although the vast majority of Japanese daggers had machine made blades in them some were fitted with traditionally made blades and as such the value can vary by hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Without photos to confirm just what you have it's really a shot in the dark to suggest values. You are probably correct in that it's a Naval dagger but there are other ranks and branches of service that carried daggers and you may not (no offense intended) even recognize just what you have or from what period.

To allow us to best assist you please post some photos either through a photo hosting site or better yet by way of Association membership.

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

Cloth haggers?
      Surrender cloth tags , 2 of them?
      We need photos .

Comment

Hello the haggers are like a piece of cloth with alot of well done knots

Comment

Hello the haggers are like a piece of cloth with alot of well done knots
          Is this what you are referring to?

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/sageo.htm

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

No the knots are not attacted around the blade but just hang down from the rings

Comment

No the knots are not attacted around the blade but just hang down from the rings
              Those knots are around the scabbard not the blade. Sounds like you have a home made set of hangers (possibly what you are calling haggers) similar to what old style tachi used.

Can you supply a photo?

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

agree with Stu, pix will tell all, seen blades dressed up with everything from curtain sash to sword bag tassel.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X