Need help on WWII samurai sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on WWII samurai sword

Dose this sword look correct for WWII? I do know the person that owns it. He has had it for over 30 years.

I'm thinking of offering a amount for it but need a little help. This is not my expertise.

Thank you
    Bob
    Attached Files

more

more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

one more

one more There are no marks on the blade or handle.
      Attached Files

Comment

yes its true gunto, see the handle has been off as sepa are not on right, more pix coming?

Comment

Hi Bob,

As Stephen says it's indeed WWII period and has been re-assembled incorrectly. My other concern is that the lock mechanism appears to be missing. You mention no marks on the handle. By that do you mean the tang (nakago) portion?

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Nice to find an original one with the officer's tassel still intact. Blade looks to probably be a WW2 era small or large "factory" job.

Comment

A gentleman I know brought it into my shop to show it to me. Someone else had taken it apart to see if there was any markings under the handle. They didn't know how to reassemble it, and it cam to me in pieces.

I tried to help him reassemble it. Guess I put it together improperly but at least he left with it in one piece.

I would like to offer a fair price for it. Any good idea on value?

Bob

Comment

Your pics don't indicate much of what the sword looks like - just one side of the handle.

Comment

I'll get some better pics. To be honest I just didn't think it was original because the condition looked to good to me, especially the tassel. So I wasn't concerned with to many photos.

I was expecting a different response here. I'm glad I was wrong!

I appreciate all the comments.

Bob

Comment

shots of both sides of the nakago and tip please and any activity in the hamon

Comment

Please look at this link can help you
                      www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_002.htm

Comment

Very nice sword...excellent condition on Ebay they sell for over $1000...unsigned..

Comment

Hi Bob,

I think the requested pictures are needed before a good evaluation can be done. We really have not seen much of the blade yet and that's where any value will be. Given the missing parts and from what I've seen so far I'd not offer more than 500 to your seller at this time. Further pics may suggest a higher offer but until then I'd stay low.

Regards,
                          Stu
                          PS: Tassels are routinely added to swords and it's not unusual to see a difference in the condition between it and the handle.

Comment

You're asking us what an old oil painting is worth, and posting photos of the frame.

Based on what I see, the seller should be ecstatic to get $1,000 for it. I would say, without the tassel, $650, but on eBay, things can fetch more than a collector would pay, so, $650 plus.

The tassel would do better being sold separately, as it is the only thing I see here that would be of interest to a Japanese sword collector. They can get bid up high sometimes, and many collectors will not want to buy the sword just to get it.

And as noted, the tassel looks oddly un-associated with this sword anyway.

Comment

Don is certainly correct when he says things can get bid up on Ebay. Proving once again that fools and their money are easily parted. What you also need to remember is that gunto often show up at gun shows and can be had for far less late afternoon on Sunday than was asked early Saturday morning.

Regards,
                              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X