Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaigunto.

Hi
    Got this kaigunto today locally. From the son of a now dead collector.
    Just got it cleaned due to much cigarette smoke ,otherwise its in great condition.
    Its a stainless blade, no mei.
    It has a very nice sarute(monkey hands) and brown tassel.
    Have look , click pictures to enlarge.

Hi gunto,

Congrats on your nice Kaigunto found.
    I've always liked the stylized tsuba with rising sun pattern on Kaigunto.
    How do you care for stainless steel blade?

Shigezo
    加州住繁蔵

Comment

Very Nice!!!... navy swords are much nicer than army swords specially those with Ray skin scabbards.....

Comment

Originally posted by Luis22 View Post
        Very Nice!!!... navy swords are much nicer than army swords specially those with Ray skin scabbards.....
        Sure , love them so much and thinking of theres lesser navy swords than army makes them more desirable.

I have only one army left.
        Last edited by gunto; 07-02-2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shigezo View Post
          Hi gunto,

Congrats on your nice Kaigunto found.
          I've always liked the stylized tsuba with rising sun pattern on Kaigunto.
          How do you care for stainless steel blade?
          加州住繁蔵
          oil them sometimes.

Comment

Very nice! I'm still looking for a minty example with covered rayskin scabbard for my collection

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
              Very nice! I'm still looking for a minty example with covered rayskin scabbard for my collection
              Me too!

Comment

LOL! I think you have a few already!

Comment

Thats shark skin ,the ray skin has bigger nodles.

Comment

I'm uncertain on that. I've seen shark skin that had larger nodles in center etc. that were used in specific area on scabbard. I do wonder if there's a true difference

Comment

Ray skin is on the handle shark skin sanded and laquered is on the saya.

Comment

It's been my experience that polished shark skin tends to look like small stars whereas the ray skin nodules are larger and rounded. Quite a noticeable difference when compared side by side. Having said that my experience is limited to a few dozen I've owned or had in hand so maybe others have different views on the topic.

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

This one got unpolished shark skin on handle and polished shark skin over wood saya.
                          The others I got :
                          Black leather on handle and polished shark skin over wood saya.
                          Black ray skin handle and lacquered leather over wood saya.

Shark skins dosnt have the big nodles used for the handle , theres are stingray/ manta skins.
                          Shark skin left and ray skin right.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                            It's been my experience that polished shark skin tends to look like small stars whereas the ray skin nodules are larger and rounded. Quite a noticeable difference when compared side by side. Having said that my experience is limited to a few dozen I've owned or had in hand so maybe others have different views on the topic.

Regards,
                            Stu
                            Your 100% correct.

Comment

Well either shark or ray I'm still looking for a minty example of either one

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X