• Time
  • Show
Clear All

last purchase field glasses type 89

hello guys

this is mine last purchase,, i think it is a good one,,,

help on the stamp are welkom

greetings bruno

Nice BUT I think kanji on front is fake. Kanji on top lid is right.

Comment

My understanding is that J.E.S. markings identify the binoculars as post-war. Not sure about the case, though.

Best,

Bill K.

Comment

Sorry, confused - the JIS code is post war, 1947 I believe. I still am not totally convinced that the JES marked binocs. are WWII - I have a pair of 4 x 10's with the JES marking on them - I have been looking for info. for a few years and haven't found anything conclusive other than that I have seen many examples of the same pair of binocs. without the JES marking. Can't figure why some would have it and others not. My deduction is that after the war the US was "ruling" in Japan and began making Japanese companies mark things more prominantly - This is when the "Made in Japan" phrase was coined. So, its seems the addition of JIS and JES codes was an attempt to label Japanese products with more information for overseas consumption. Of course, this is pure speculation. There seems to be a lack of info. out there about WWII Japanese binoculars.

Best,

Bill K.
        Last edited by bellumbill; 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

hi Bill

thanks for your opinion,,, when i find something what i like i see in mine books,, in the book off japan at war on pag 128 you see the almost the same binocular and yuo see there also the stamp J.E.S more opinions are welkom

greetings bruno

Comment

i have als a pair with jes marking but most of mine are without this marking

Comment

is there an integral range markings inside one of the lenses as visible when looking through?

Comment

These are prewar binoculars. The J.E.S. mark was a pre and wartime mark for "Japanese Engineering Standard." After WWII the standard became obsolete and was replaced. Many WWII and older Japanese binoculars bear the JES mark.

What identifies postwar Japanese binoculars is a JB or JL mark, usually on the front hinge followed by a manufactures code (or of course "made in occupied Japan").

Not sure but the manufacture could possibly be NIKKEN, which was Nippon Microscope Works.

Comment

Originally posted by zachb View Post
                  These are prewar binoculars. The J.E.S. mark was a pre and wartime mark for "Japanese Engineering Standard." After WWII the standard became obsolete and was replaced. Many WWII and older Japanese binoculars bear the JES mark.

What identifies postwar Japanese binoculars is a JB or JL mark, usually on the front hinge followed by a manufactures code (or of course "made in occupied Japan").

Not sure but the manufacture could possibly be NIKKEN, which was Nippon Microscope Works.
                  Although this is not my thread I appreciate this info. Thank you. Can you advise how you came to know this? Is there a good reference book on Japanese optics?

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

The JES standard employed here pertains to the screws used. JES standard screws were first made available in 1927. After WW2, based on the JIS standards established in 1949, JIS screws became available in 1952.

Comment

hello guys

hoi Nick and Zach, thanks for the great help
                      also other members thanks for the discusion, thats what i like on the forum

greetings bruno

Comment

I also think the writing on the front of the case is fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                          Although this is not my thread I appreciate this info. Thank you. Can you advise how you came to know this? Is there a good reference book on Japanese optics?

Regards,
                          Stu
                          Stu,

I don't know of any book or monograph dealing specifically with Japanese optics. My knowledge comes mostly from just picking up bits and pieces of information here and there. Here is a link to a site that has some information:

http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm

See halfway down that page for more links to info on Japanese optics. As for the maker of this pair, as I said I'm speculating.

Zach

Comment

Hello Zach,

Thanks for the link. I'll spend some time there and see what I can learn. Much appreciated.

Regards,
                            Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X