"Bubba's Jap Sword"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Bubba's Jap Sword"

Well I found this poor specimen at a garage sale in the North Georgia Mountains, the previous owner was selling some of his Dads stuff and on one of the tables I found it. He told me that years ago he remembers "playing" with the sword and hacking at the vines in his yard! He forgot about it until recently when he rediscovered the sword under some ivy next to the house.He attempted to clean it and decided who ever bought it could finish the job! I don't collect Japanese miltaria but would like to know what type of sword this is that I rescued from redneck hell! Any info would be appreciated and any value it may still have if any would also be appreciated.Try not to cry too much while viewing my pictures.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=217287

Comment

I believe it started out as an Army Officer sword WWII vintage. Appears to be at least in part hand worked (finished) but of the mass produced variety. In good condition with scabbard it would run around 1K USD. In it's present condition it's probably not of interest to most collectors.

Regards,
                    Stu

Comment

Did'nt mean to offend anyone thats what the guy I bought it from called it.Can't change it now. Thanks for the reply about what type of sword it is.

Comment

Ouch!!! sad, I heard stories like this, how the kids played army with their dad's War Souvenirs.... It's a Type 98 (or 94) officer's shingunto. Would call it an original "Post-War made" relic....... not a Wartime Relic as the damage was done after the war. Value wise, I wouldn't know.... I myself would not buy something like this especially knowing how it was destroyed/ruined by playing kids.

Seeing this and knowing what happened, it hard not to .......

Comment

I think that most of the value is gone but, it still tells the story of the fate of so many items brought back from the war.

Comment

If I had this, I'd try to straiten that slight bend out, maybe try some steel wool on that blade; things you would never do to a Japanese sword normally, but nothing to loose by trying at this point. Clean the handle up as best as possible, find the missing parts (being willing to settle for ones that aren't in the best shape) and sell it cheap to someone who wants an original gunto but doesn't want to spend $1000+. It could still have some potential as a "wall hanger" for a casual collector.

Comment

After returning to California after living for about 5 years in the South I knew EXACTLY what Carlos meant with the thread title. Believe me it was not meant to be offensive. "Bubba" and "redneck" are derogatory terms for poor ill-educated whites and the abbreviated "Japanese" is precisely how they think and talk. But I understand your wariness of not letting racist words get started on this forum.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X