HEITAI
    Uniforms, Equipment and Personal Items of the Japanese Soldier 1931-45

Author(s): Augustin Sàiz
    Language(s): English Text
    Format: Hard cover, 9" x 12"
    Pages: 480 pages
    Photos: Over 2,000 color photos and illustrations
    Publisher: Andrea Press

I would like to hear reviews on this book.
    His book on German uniforms and gear had quite a few errors...
    Let us know how this book is!

I enjoyed it. I especially liked the personal items section.
    Regards, Arditi(Russ)

Comment

i like the book,, also the 2 books from Japan At War from Russ Ardendell are a great help for collecting japanese stuff

greetings bruno

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

Many mistakes in the book as in the German book?
        Last edited by Dmv; 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUNO FRANCK View Post
          the 2 books from Japan At War from Russ Ardendell
          Don't get me started about these books!

Comment

The German version is like a fantasy item catalog from some notorious dealer. It's too bad that such an attractive layout got filled with so much rubbish.

Comment

heitai book

First, I love it and know of nothing close to it. It's one of my favorite picture /reference books at the momment. I would buy it again in a second.

But, yes it has some errors, incompleteness, over generalized, etc. It looks like the author was in a hurry to get the book written and didn't do all the research he should have done.. Also check the credits, only one Japanese name and the others Europen which doesn't give me as much confidence.

Comment

Striking 9th, what are your concerns about the Arendell and Abramson books?
                Regards, Russ

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
                Don't get me started about these books!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardire View Post
                  Striking 9th, what are your concerns about the Arendell and Abramson books?
                  Regards, Russ
                  I wouldn't know. My contributions did not rate a copy. I am not the only one who feels this way. I am just the only one who will say it. Several people felt slighted by this. It would not have been as bad had you just responded and said no. Simply explaining yourself would have went a long way. You chose not to respond and still used the stuff. Or did you even use the items in question? You never even responded to that either. I told you I wanted no published credit for the items. All I asked was to review a copy and send it back. I asked you point blank about contributor copies. You chose to ignore that. Then the only way we find out that some contributors do get copies and some don't is because of one of your friends errant posts on GB. That is what rubbed me the wrong way. It's fine though. I knew after I posted that I should not have done it. This is over as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Ok. I remember now that you were upset from the earlier exchange we had on the other board. I'm sorry you feel slighted and it was certainly not my intention to make you feel this way. I promised only a few complimentary copies. Not everyone was promised one because, in the end, it cost me nearly a grand to send those few out. Everyone, I promised a copy to, early on, received one as I promised. I'm sorry I did not answer your question about a free copy or even loaning you a copy. There was no intent to mislead on my part...I promise you.
                    Your dogtag/ w/cord is exquisite, in my mind, and a true gem that makes the books better. I do not like sore feelings...if you will accept my sincere apologies at offending you...I will send you a copy of the third book in the series, in the future, at my cost. Just remind this old fart, about this, when the third book comes around.
                    A Hearty Handshake, Russ(Ardire)

Comment

Originally posted by Ardire View Post
                      Ok. I remember now that you were upset from the earlier exchange we had on the other board. I'm sorry you feel slighted and it was certainly not my intention to make you feel this way. I promised only a few complimentary copies. Not everyone was promised one because, in the end, it cost me nearly a grand to send those few out. Everyone, I promised a copy to, early on, received one as I promised. I'm sorry I did not answer your question about a free copy or even loaning you a copy. There was no intent to mislead on my part...I promise you.
                      Your dogtag/ w/cord is exquisite, in my mind, and a true gem that makes the books better. I do not like sore feelings...if you will accept my sincere apologies at offending you...I will send you a copy of the third book in the series, in the future, at my cost. Just remind this old fart, about this, when the third book comes around.
                      A Hearty Handshake, Russ(Ardire)
                      I actually sent you pics of two helmets (in the beginning) which you approached me about. I take it you did not use them. No problem at all. You approached me about the dogtag right before your deadline. Please just keep your book. It was never about the book. It was the manner in which it was handled. It's closed as far as I am concerned.
                      Regards, Scott

Comment

Ok Scott.

I apologize for hijacking your thread on the "Heitai" book DMV. I believe the book provides a very good view of what the Heitai carried, wore and may have been in contact with during the extended Japanese conflagurations. I don't believe any book is perfect, though I believe most author's try to make it so. Having tried to put a book together myself, I've seen how things can be missed and mistakes made even with the best of intentions in mind. I have not met Mr. Saiz, but I admire the book, the effort and love he must have had for the project and the great help all such projects need. I would be curious at what folks believe is flawed with this book. Hope this helps.
                        Respectfully, Russ(Ardire)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                        X