Samurai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samurai

When into a pawn shop today and found this sword.Some guy had pawn it;but never came back for it.They want $500 for it.I don't collect this stuff;so need opinion?What is it? Is it worth $500?It has a really nice leather scabbard and has the brown tassels.Bade is 23".From the top of the tang to the bottom tip it is 28".
    Dan46
    Attached Files

more
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Appears to be a mix of gunto and civilian parts from what I can see so far.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Dosnt look like the mekugi ana fits.

Comment

look for kizu ....no crack or fatal flaws, buy it now!!!!

Comment

The blade looks shorter (maybe an older wakizashi) then the scabbard and has a plain fuchi that might have had a leather cover and retaining strap. I wouldn't hold the blade the way the pawn owner is holding it..... !! I learned something about how to handle and hold a blade watching and talking to Mr. Benson. As gunto and Budo45 mentioned, see if a mekugi would fits and the blade is without major flaws. For $500.00 I would pick it up as long as everything fits and the blade is good.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
              The blade looks shorter (maybe an older wakizashi) then the scabbard and has a plain fuchi that might have had a leather cover and retaining strap. I wouldn't hold the blade the way the pawn owner is holding it..... !! I learned something about how to handle and hold a blade watching and talking to Mr. Benson. As gunto and Budo45 mentioned, see if a mekugi would fits and the blade is without major flaws. For $500.00 I would pick it up as long as everything fits and the blade is good.

Comment

looks like short daito or maxed out wak, i think from what ive seen it was family blade taken to war....if you get it be sure to remove all fingerprints and give it light coat of oil.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info.I did not know what the Japanese words were or meant?I got the sword out the door for $475.Everything fits good and tight.Blade is nice and the leather scabbard is exc. condition after I put some leather conditioner on it.Its a great sword.Thanks again for all your help.
                  Dan46

Comment

Lucky You! and a drop in price!! mekugi-ana is the hole in the tang (nakago) or hilt (tsuka) and mekugi is the bamboo peg that holds the blade to the handle. They should all match up so the peg can go through the holes. The collar (habaki)i looks like an old one too. The book "The Samurai Sword" by Yumoto is great beginner's book and one I still use to this day.
                    Please post more pictures!!!

Comment

Blade maintainance.

Hi Guys,

Not an expert with Japanese edged weapons but I was told a couple of months ago by a guy who has worked with Japanese sword blades for 40 or so years that the best oil to use on Japanese sword blades is Camellia Oil.

Though some of the experts may no better, just thought it is a point of interest as someone also said I could also maintain my blade with engine oil

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.The peg does match the hole;as there was a half a pcs. in it that I had to punch out.Will take more pictures tomorrow.
                        Dan46

Comment

Run go and get it!!

Comment

Took a buddy along to look at a vet sword.
                            Very late machine made, but nice shape.
                            1st thing my buddy did was grab the blade in his sweaty paw.

All too common.
                            MLP

Comment

Some more pictures
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X