Kagatano / kozuka antique shop finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kagatano / kozuka antique shop finds

Hello folks. It took a while before I could find the correct terminology for these, but I think I've got it now...Anyway, found these in a little shop over the weekend. The one w/ the horses on it is simply beautiful...such workmanship! The hilt appears to be bronze, and the horses are neatly gilded. The back of the handle has two Kanji characters (hope I've photo'd them the right way up), and the blade is marked as well. The brass hilted one depicts a dragon, and is likewise marked w/ Kanji on the rear of the handle as well as on the blade, however the blade markings are too faint to really photograph well w/ my camera. Both measure a tad over 8 inches long from end to end, and if the patina on the blades is any indication, I believe they have some good age to them. As I'm FAR from an authority on Japanese blades, I hope some of you folks here might be able to translate or give me an approximate idea of their age? Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Can ANYone w/ some experience on these types of blades shed some light on the age of these pieces or what the Kanji says? I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thank you!

Comment

Where HAVE all of the sword experts / kanji translators gone??? Oh well...

Comment

The signatures on kogatana are nearly always fake. The first kodzuka is a ready made piece that someone decided to polish and removed the original finish. The second piece is better. Both appear to be 19th century. I no longer have my fittings signature references so I can not help you with the originality of the signature on the kodzuka.

Comment

Hello Bob, and thank you for your help. I found these in a little antique shop (brought in by a local w/ other estate items), and don't have much doubt as to their authenticity (as regards not being "fake" pieces) at the very least. As for the signatures themselves, as I don't read Japanese, I haven't a clue. From the simple perspective of aesthetics, I'd agree that both have legitimate age. Thanks again for your comments!

Comment

the blade looks to be signed Minamoto Kanetada (or Kintada), as Bob mentions the signature does not mean much other than it is there. The brass kozuka looks to be signed Masa___ but fittings many times are read usingthe Chinese varient so it could be something else. The copper/shakuko kozuka look sto be signed Ujimits

marku

Comment

Thanks very much! Appreciate your commenting & the information.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X