Flag & Senninbari treasure trove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flag & Senninbari treasure trove

I just got a big lot of Japanese cloth items in. There were several plain flags but I bought the lot because I saw there was at least 2 senninbari in it. Turned out to be better than I had hoped for! I'm using the term "senninbari" (thousand stitch belt) loosely here to cover anything a Japanese soldier would wear for good luck, as you'll see, only a couple involve the "1000 stitches".

One of several plain flags, this is the smallest, about 13x13 inches.

One flag came in this nice box with a list of days you ae supposed to display the flag.

There's a place inside for the flagpole top. It didn't have one, but I happened to have one sitting around.

flag from the box

Back of the box. has an attachment to hang it on the wall, but it looks like the owner stored it some other way.

Thousand stitch belt

A blue envelope wrapped inside

In the envelope, a piece of newspaper with some seeds wrapped inside (Paper dated Showa 7/1932)

Another senninbari

Some other type of lucky belt, haven't had time to try and translate anything yet.

On the back

A yosegaki flag folded and stitched into a belt with ties added. there's also a 5 sen coin sewn inside.

Similar to the "thousand stitch belt", but instead of stitches people wrote the kanji for "power" 力

Sash of some sort, haven't translated yet.

The folded yosegaki flag is great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
      The folded yosegaki flag is great!!!
      I think it was actually made to be folded up like this, since the hinomaru is a bit small and the flag is kind of long and narrow.

"Samuhara", a Shinto mantra to ward off evil, and very hard to look up as it uses non-standard kanji!
      It's also written on the back of this belt and off to the side on the senninriki "power" belt.

Comment

Amazing!

Are these a result of your trip to Japan? Really nice! Love to see some group pics of your collection some time.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X